prescriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reed1978

Jou Kak is Geboek!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...i should know - but i don't. can dentists prescribe medication? i supposse they can prescribe pain killers. i don't know?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. After you graduate with your DDS and get your license to practice, you can apply to the Drug Enforcement Administration to get an ID number so you can prescribe anything up to a Schedule 2 drug.

And yes, some dentists do need to prescribe stuff like that, such as oral surgeons who put their patients under IV sedation with really potent Schedule 2 narcotics like fentanyl. (I just spent 3 weeks at Bellevue Hospital's OMFS Department in NYC watching the oral surgery residents do procedures with the patients under IV sedation-- Very neat.)

And of course, dentists most often Rx more mundane meds like PenVK for odontogenic infections, Amox or Clinda for antibiotic prophylaxis for those with conditions like mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation, pain control meds like Tylenol #3, hydrocodone like Vicodin, etc.

HTH!