Presence in MAC vs MTB in AIDS and TB in CWP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay 2 questions:
First: Qbank says that Mycoplasma Tb is the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised. Rapid review by Goljan says that the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised is Mycoplasma avium intracellulaire complex...
Who do I go with?

Also, in goljans audio - he stated that coal workers pneumoconiosis presents with an inreased incidence of TB but not cancer.

Whereas in rapid review he says that neither is elevated in CWP.

Which one(s) shoiuld I go with? Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Okay 2 questions:
First: Qbank says that Mycoplasma Tb is the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised. Rapid review by Goljan says that the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised is Mycoplasma avium intracellulaire complex...
Who do I go with?

Also, in goljans audio - he stated that coal workers pneumoconiosis presents with an inreased incidence of TB but not cancer.

Whereas in rapid review he says that neither is elevated in CWP.

Which one(s) shoiuld I go with? Thanks again

When in doubt, consult a real textbook (like Harrison's).

Despite his greatness, Goljan has been wrong.

For example: Nikolsky sign in pemphigus vs. bullous pemphigoid.

The only truly debatable questions in QBank (IMO) are a small minority of the "what would you do in this situation" questions where either the truly best answer isn't present.

there is a difference between 'mycobacterium' and 'mycoplasma'... ;) prob. a typo rite.

Tuberculosis is only caused by My.Tuberculosis (in US only this) and My. Bovis (both worldwide).

MAI causes 'tuberculosis-like' pulmonary disease that is clinically indistinguishable from tuberculosis, primarily in AIDS (immunocompromised) pxts. MAI is the most common cause of bacterial cause of disease in AIDS pxts. (Lange Review). Also, in autopsy of AIDS pxts, 50% had MAI but its not the cause of death. (CMMRS)

MAI (being an atypical mycobacterium) has become significant over the last few years esp. in the immunocompromised and still going up. i would go with MAI. (with goljan, lange) however, i dont think you would see this type of q. except in qbank.