presence of cavum septum pellucidum (CSP) and head trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Mike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
38 yo female history of moderate head trauma (MVA may, 2004) suffering from vertigo, nausea, vomiting, chronic LBP with biliateral lower extremity weakness.

CT of Head negative for blood or space occupying lesion. Presence of cavum septum pellucidum (CSP)

EEG finding within normal limits.

Lower extremity reflexes B/L 2+ (brisk) not hyper, no clonus
L.E. muscle strength 2 out of 5.

RX: rest. Meds gravol prn, serc 8mg tid (no change in symptomology)

Question, is there any correlation with head trauma (concussion) and the presence of a cavum septum pellucidum increasing/prolonging syptoms?

(I read that many boxers (repetive trauma) who suffer from "punch drunkness" also have the presence of cavum septum pellucidum.) Also some study that the presence of CSP is increased in mental ******ation.

P.S. I fear that the previous neuro evaluations were limited, mostly due to a language barrier (Mandarin Chinese) and the Socialized health system.

Any thots or suggestions on care/diagnostics MRI, PET, long term neuro facillity (Sunney Brook etc?)

Thanks

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you were watching Rocky V on AMC the other day weren't you? Sorry, I have to admit, I had to watch it so I could see what neuro condition he got diagnosed with

She has a working diagnosis as post concussion syndrome. But no one seems to want to take the initiative.

The first neuro attending on initial examination (ER 72 hours post MVA) stated "whoa, this is really a concern, you need to have a more specialized neuro evaluation, but I will send out for EEG", 8 weeks later, a second neurologist did a 3 min neuro eval and said "hmm, not sure, try taking the serc", now its been 10 months, and she is falling into a DEEP DEPRESSION (she cannot care for her two children).

What are her options? There has to be some explanation? perhaps a more "academic" examination. or just an answer "due to your congenital anomoly, you are more predisposed for etc..."

either way she needs some assistance. Nothing comes from nothing.

BTW I didn't see Rocky last week, but what was Rocky's findings, Dx?

Not to get away from her case, does anyone have any suggestions? (SunneyBrook?)

There has been an association between CSP and various conditions, but it is a relatively common finding in normal individuals also.