Presentation at national conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaserJet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research with a professor for about a year. He will be presenting the results at the most important conference for his specific field. He told me that I would be co-Author of the presentation and sent me an abstract. I won't actually be there but my name is clearly written on the abstract.

Two questions:

1. How would I note this as an EC? Presentation at X conference? Co-Author of a presentation at X conference?

2. How important is this? Is it anywhere near getting published?

Members don't see this ad.

I did research with a professor for about a year. He will be presenting the results at the most important conference for his specific field. He told me that I would be co-Author of the presentation and sent me an abstract. I won't actually be there but my name is clearly written on the abstract.

Two questions:

1. How would I note this as an EC? Presentation at X conference? Co-Author of a presentation at X conference?

2. How important is this? Is it anywhere near getting published?

I'd list the citation as part of the amcas description. Since the abstract is probably in the proceedings for the meeting, it's citable.

You would cite it like this:

Smith, J., Yourname, X., et al. "Title of your presentation." Presented at the 52nd meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, CA, October 15, 2010.

Being on an abstract is better than nothing, but since you weren't the presenter, it's not a huge deal. It's definitely not the same as a peer-reviewed publication, but it's still nice. For the purposes of med school admissions, seeing students involved in research is nice, so I think it's a nice thing to have on your app.

I'd list the citation as part of the amcas description. Since the abstract is probably in the proceedings for the meeting, it's citable.

You would cite it like this:

Smith, J., Yourname, X., et al. "Title of your presentation." Presented at the 52nd meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, CA, October 15, 2010.

Being on an abstract is better than nothing, but since you weren't the presenter, it's not a huge deal. It's definitely not the same as a peer-reviewed publication, but it's still nice. For the purposes of med school admissions, seeing students involved in research is nice, so I think it's a nice thing to have on your app.

Thanks! That was very useful. haha, I'm going to feel weird having only one abstract/presentation/poster one my CV, though...

Members don't see this ad :)