Presentation ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sella Turcica17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on a vascular rotation and will have to give a presentation of my choosing soon. Any ideas on current vascular issues you find interesting and wouldnt mind listening to a med student give a lecture on?

Members don't see this ad.

I am on a vascular rotation and will have to give a presentation of my choosing soon. Any ideas on current vascular issues you find interesting and wouldnt mind listening to a med student give a lecture on?

EVAR (endovascular AAA repair). It's easy to research (EVAR trials I and II, up to date), and it's an area of vascular surgery that has drastically changed daily practice.

During my medical school rotations, med-students were not expected to be maximal experts on the subject matter.

Consider mesenteric ischemia. You would need to present the anatomy, symptomology and general presentation, collateral supply... then the attendings turn to question the GSurgery residents and work to the fellows.

Another favorite is a mesenteric embolism and the anatomy to reach it. This is great for GSurgery residents cause it shows up on the certifying exam. Again, med-student presents the mesenteric anatomy, different routes of perfusion to gut, what regions would be ischemic based on what vascular supply, etc... Then the GSurgery residents start to get pimped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Review stuff is expected. New stuff or controversial stuff can be fun too: As a non-vascular surgeon, here are things that jump to mind

New anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents coming through trials (there are a number of oral one that are coming through trials now)

Use of filters for PE prophylaxis in high risk patients

IVUS use in peripheral stenting

Use of temporary shunts in trauma situations for major vascular injury (I think there are few new military papers out there that might be interesting)

Carotid stenting: indications and current status

I was in the same boat a month ago -
You could compare different graft materials for patency/limb salvage, there's an awesome Cochrane review covering that (this is what I ended up doing).
I mentioned presenting thoracic outlet syn, everyone seemed interested in that one since it's interesting and doesn't get seen too often.
Another sweet topic is intravascular ultrasound.
Hope that helps!

There was an interesting article in a few NEJM issues back that was from the CREST study (carotid endarterectomy vs stenting) that was pretty interesting and could be a pretty good presentation topic (the fact that the lead researchers were from my program doesn't hurt ;) )