Presentation vs Publication in CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an abstract that was presented at a research conference at my program but was also published in an abstract supplement in a reputable journal. I also have written up a manuscript of this same project which is currently under review for publication in a different journal.
My question is, do I report all of these in my CV for fellowship? That is, an abstract under the presentation category, a publication in the abstract supplement, and if published another publication at this other journal? I'm just wondering if it's redundant to use the same research project in different presentation/publication formats.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. I would report one bullet per project (not three bullets). And in that one bullet, state when/where it was presented, when/where it was published, etc. If you're short on space, present it as a publication (in a good journal, that got you into PubMed). That's more impressive.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an abstract that was presented at a research conference at my program but was also published in an abstract supplement in a reputable journal. I also have written up a manuscript of this same project which is currently under review for publication in a different journal.
My question is, do I report all of these in my CV for fellowship? That is, an abstract under the presentation category, a publication in the abstract supplement, and if published another publication at this other journal? I'm just wondering if it's redundant to use the same research project in different presentation/publication formats.

Journal name don't matter if it's an abstract, to be blunt. At ASCO for example, the lowest ranked abstracts are solely "published" in JCO rather than qualifying for a poster or presentation, and definitely wouldn't make it into JCO as a manuscript, and this is typical for all the major conferences. Don't think I've ever heard of a poster/presentation at a major conference that wasn't published as an abstract, if they have an abstract book. I would list the presentation and the paper, because those are 2 different things and skills, while the abstract is just fluffing the CV.

Reactions: 1 user