• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Presentation vs Publication in CV

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2019
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have an abstract that was presented at a research conference at my program but was also published in an abstract supplement in a reputable journal. I also have written up a manuscript of this same project which is currently under review for publication in a different journal.
My question is, do I report all of these in my CV for fellowship? That is, an abstract under the presentation category, a publication in the abstract supplement, and if published another publication at this other journal? I'm just wondering if it's redundant to use the same research project in different presentation/publication formats.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Sure. I would report one bullet per project (not three bullets). And in that one bullet, state when/where it was presented, when/where it was published, etc. If you're short on space, present it as a publication (in a good journal, that got you into PubMed). That's more impressive.

Reactions: 1 user

Dwan

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2011
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have an abstract that was presented at a research conference at my program but was also published in an abstract supplement in a reputable journal. I also have written up a manuscript of this same project which is currently under review for publication in a different journal.
My question is, do I report all of these in my CV for fellowship? That is, an abstract under the presentation category, a publication in the abstract supplement, and if published another publication at this other journal? I'm just wondering if it's redundant to use the same research project in different presentation/publication formats.

Journal name don't matter if it's an abstract, to be blunt. At ASCO for example, the lowest ranked abstracts are solely "published" in JCO rather than qualifying for a poster or presentation, and definitely wouldn't make it into JCO as a manuscript, and this is typical for all the major conferences. Don't think I've ever heard of a poster/presentation at a major conference that wasn't published as an abstract, if they have an abstract book. I would list the presentation and the paper, because those are 2 different things and skills, while the abstract is just fluffing the CV.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.