Presentations/Posters on AMCAS ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JollyCamper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a post-secondary experience. Is the requirement here attendance of the conference/meeting and actually presenting your poster (first author)?

What if you contributed to the research and have your name on the poster/abstract as 2nd/3rd author, but did not attend the meeting? In my case I was the major contributor to the work, I wrote the paper (submitted recently) and am 1st author on the paper. For a conference last year, I made the poster, but I couldn't attend the meeting and my PI presented it instead. Should I include that on the AMCAS application? And mention I did not attend the meeting in the description?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jolly :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone adding presentations/posters as a post-secondary experience on their AMCAS application? Any suggestions on the above dilemma?

Thanks!

i wouldn't bother listing that you didn't actually present the poster. what matters is that you had a poster at the conference and had the corresponding abstract published in the conference's program (i'm guessing you did). i would list any posters, major presentations, or publications where you were listed as an author.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks sandflea! Yes, I have the abstracts published in the conference's proceedings. I wasn't sure if it was ethical to say you had a poster when you didn't actually present it or attend the meeting! I'm leaning towards including any abstract/poster with my name on it, but am still not 100% sure.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

As a researcher (by training and profession du jour), I can tell you that any paper with your name on should show up on your CV. Granted, ones for which you are first author and last author (later in your career when you are a 'senior' author), are given more weight in promotion.

When I filled out my AMCAS, I put as many of the items on my CV as I could stand typing in. So my advice would definitely be to include things where you weren't the first author. With publications like JAMA, it's more often the case that you have a few 2nd, 3rd, 4th author pubs before you write one yourself...no shame in that!

Thanks m2006. I agree with you on listing journal publications even when you're not the first author.

Do you treat posters the same way, where only the abstract is published (sometimes)? Some researches don't regard abstracts as 'real' publications! Since not every abstract is guaranteed to lead to a peer-reviewed journal publication. Also, some of the researches I've collaborated with would include you in the abstract/poster but not in the final journal publication!

Thanks again,

bump.
I'd like to see more opinions on this.

I presented posters at company-wide retreats and I think I will include those, if that helps at all. it's sort of a smaller scale, but i think it shows that someone thought what you were working on and your ability to present it is good enough for others to learn about. From the conferences i've attended, the person presenting the poster was just a representative of the group that did the work (sometimes not even the one that did most of it) so i wouldn't discount your work even though you weren't there. plus, i'm not sure how closely they'll look at posters/conferences anyway.

:)

If you have a journal publication, I would include it no matter what author you are. However, to include a presentation which you didn't actually give makes you look like you're reaching for things. I'm pretty sure they are looking for actual presentations, not just credit for the work (i.e. your name just being listed).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll only include the presentations/posters where I've attended the meetings, and those in which I made a significant contribution and was included in the final paper.