Presenting at conferences unrelated to Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRRRTolkien

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the research I'm working on is related to both psychology and computer-human interaction/computer-mediated communication. I am thinking of submitting a proposal to the 2017 Conference of the International Communication Association (http://www.icahdq.org/conf/2017/2017cfp.pdf), but I am wondering: will PhD programs rather a student present at psychology conferences over other sorts of conferences?

I was also thinking of submitting a proposal to the 2017 Conference of the American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences (AABSS, http://www.aabss.net/), but I am unsure if this is a reputable conference. I've been advised to not present at 'scam' conferences but I often have trouble determining if a conference is legit or not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think depending on the direction your career is heading, it actually not only makes sense to present at "non psychology" conferences but will actually look good career-wise.

I think a good barometer to establish if a conference is a "scam" or not is to look at whether you recognize any of the names. Or better yet, ask folks in that particular conference's field if they have heard of it. I'm already skeptical about the American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences conference because I have never heard of it and I have also never heard of the flagship journal of that association, Journal of Behavior and Social Sciences. I am pretty familiar with the interdisciplinary journals of the social sciences since my work often fits best within these types of journals. However, JBSS doesn't seem to be indexed anywhere, not even Google Scholar brings up any articles in that journal!

The ICA seems legit - look at their flagship journal, J of Communication - it has an impact factor of 2.8 and indexed everywhere.

I'm more demonstrating how to assess whether these conferences are scams or not if you do not have anyone to ask. I still think the best answer is to ask experts in these respective fields for their opinions. The AABSS conference may not be necessarily scam, and may be a nice place to network with local folks especially if you are in Las Vegas, but again, ask around, there were lots of red flags for me when I went through that website.

Thank you for the helpful replies!

Entitlement, I think you are right about AABSS. I can't find much info about it anywhere besides its own website, and I have never heard of their journal, either. I will steer clear of that conference and look into presenting at ICA. :)