Presenting undergrad research as a grad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may be a silly question, and I think I already know the answer, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

If you're presenting your undergrad research at a conference as a new grad student elsewhere, and said research still lists you as being affiliated with your undergrad school, with which institution should you affiliate yourself when you register? I'd guess your grad school, but, again, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this type of situation typical? A group poster I worked on was accepted by ABCT with one of my professors. He's really pushing me to come to the conference, but I am not sure how that would look, me presenting something with a different lab. He's urging me to see if I can get funding from my grad school to go, but I feel like that is a little awkward and uncomfortable to ask them right when I start there. They just got me funding, and I don't want to sound like I'm asking for more money, you know? Should I just tell him that, or is it typical for students to get funding to go to ABCT as a new student? I really don't want to step on any toes.

If you're presenting your undergrad research at a conference as a new grad student elsewhere, and said research still lists you as being affiliated with your undergrad school, with which institution should you affiliate yourself when you register? I'd guess your grad school, but, again, just wanted to be sure.

You should register as part of your new school, and your poster should reflect that affiliation as well. If your adviser is on the poster, he/she would stay with the old institution, but you are now at New School and your poster and registration should reflect that.

Is this type of situation typical? A group poster I worked on was accepted by ABCT with one of my professors. He's really pushing me to come to the conference, but I am not sure how that would look, me presenting something with a different lab. He's urging me to see if I can get funding from my grad school to go, but I feel like that is a little awkward and uncomfortable to ask them right when I start there. They just got me funding, and I don't want to sound like I'm asking for more money, you know? Should I just tell him that, or is it typical for students to get funding to go to ABCT as a new student? I really don't want to step on any toes.

It's not weird, unless your department is really abnormally territorial or something. Go, and ask for money. You'll have to do that a lot, and building up a record of getting funding makes you more competitive for funding later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Er... but what if the abstract we submitted (and therefore the entry on the conference itinerary) shows me as affiliated with the old institution? When we submitted it, I didn't know where I would be going to grad school, or if I would get in anywhere at all.

Last edited:
You're with them now, so I'd put the place you're currently at on the poster even if the submitted abstract says something different.

If you're really concerned you could do your affiliation with the old institution on the poster headline, and then footnote it with a "Cara Susanna is now at New School."

Oh, and get used to your poster and abstract not matching up perfectly.

I actually think its rare to have an abstract and poster match up perfectly. Either data collection is ongoing, or you run a different statistical test, or you find an outlier and drop a case or two, or you find something else cool you want to cram into the actual poster.

You obviously shouldn't do a completely different poster, but if you're ever wondering "Will they care if my abstract has an n of 57 and now we have an n of 70", the answer is no, because their poster does too. I'm adding in a whole new outcome for my APA poster alongside what I present in the abstract. Of course, the one thing I DON'T think you should change (the title) is now coming back to bite me in the ass and I either need to drop a word, or have a title that only reflects part of the poster! Lesson learned - future titles will be more vague;)

Last edited: