Preservative Free NS shor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ducttape

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is this affecting anyone?

What are people doing about it? Any interesting work around?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, I've found RN's in ASC and PACU have saline flush syringes that are preservative free:
iu

I'm running low. Thinking of alternatives, I have been considering just injecting a few more ml's of contrast.

Lidocaine and bupivacaine are also becoming scarce. :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a shortage b/c everyone's going to saline instead of anesthetic and everyone's being forced to use do everything single dose and then throw out the rest of the bottle. It's absolute lunacy and waste. The tails wagging the dog

Those saline flushes are clearly marked "for IV flush use only" or something like that. Sure, they say the fluid and "fluid path" is sterile, but if anything goes wrong, you have no leg to stand on. We just bought 1000 BD sterile flushes at a cost of about $0.72 each. The entire syringe, outside and inside, is sterile. The intent is for use flushing CVCs. Makes me a bit more comfortable. Until those arrive, I'm using more Omnipaque as a diluent to save our remaining PF saline bottles.

There's a shortage b/c everyone's going to saline instead of anesthetic and everyone's being forced to use do everything single dose and then throw out the rest of the bottle. It's absolute lunacy and waste. The tails wagging the dog
um, that's kind of paranoid. I highly doubt that there are enough of us around to make any appreciable dent on the number of saline flushes PF. im pretty sure that, if all the pain docs in the US all decided to shower with PF NS , we still wouldn't impact these companies. apparently, Baxter, one of the manufacturers, ships out a million units a day.

the shortage has to do with the non-existent (according to the WH) problems in Puerto Rico.

Thanks for the idea powermd. Schein has them for $0.48. That is cheaper than I was paying for 10 ml saline in bottle plus I save on a syringe.

Those saline flushes are clearly marked "for IV flush use only" or something like that. Sure, they say the fluid and "fluid path" is sterile, but if anything goes wrong, you have no leg to stand on. We just bought 1000 BD sterile flushes at a cost of about $0.72 each. The entire syringe, outside and inside, is sterile. The intent is for use flushing CVCs. Makes me a bit more comfortable. Until those arrive, I'm using more Omnipaque as a diluent to save our remaining PF saline bottles.

Where did you find those/item number. I ordered from Schein and despite saying sterile the outside is not:
Sodium Chloride IV Flsh Sol Prefl Syr 0.9% 5/10mL PF Strl 100/Bx5079812 | B. Braun Medical Inc. — 513575