president of hopkins em group is a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

didn't know this until today:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/emergencymedicine/Faculty/JHH/scheulen.html

Interview:
In 1975, Jim Schuelen began his career working as a PA in an emergency room. Today he is the chief administrative officer for the Johns Hopkins Department of Emergency Medicine and president of Johns Hopkins Emergency Medical Services. He joins host Lisa D'Andrea Lenell to discuss the skill sets, preparation and challenges that are in store for a PA who wants to transition from clinical medicine to hospital management.
To see show times please visit the ReachMD website and register using the promo code AAPA.
www.reachmd.com

Members don't see this ad.

"Hater-ade" guzzler pile-on in 4... 3... 2...

Whats the big deal? This guy is not the medical director of the ER, he's a businessman. Most of the upper echelons of management in all hospitals are MBA/JD types with no healthcare training. The MBA is what got this guy his job, not the PA-C

Members don't see this ad :)
The CEO of nursing at my hospital was a nurse in the military, ( Airforce ) and also had various other medical professions before that. In my opinion the MBA was what was required for him to obtain the job, but it was his experience that has aloud him to keep his job. Any body who can move their thumb these days can get an MBA from one of the various diploma mills, online, without leaving their sofa. Do you really think that is all it takes? Im just curious!

The CEO of nursing at my hospital was a nurse in the military, ( Airforce ) and also had various other medical professions before that. In my opinion the MBA was what was required for him to obtain the job, but it was his experience that has aloud him to keep his job. Any body who can move their thumb these days can get an MBA from one of the various diploma mills, online, without leaving their sofa. Do you really think that is all it takes? Im just curious!
As MBAs go...there are the top 5 programs, and then the next 15 or so, and then a bigger drop down. By the time you get to those pay-for-play programs, the diploma isn't worth the paper it is printed on for competitive jobs.

While it's true that there is a huge difference between the top two tiers of business schools a sound knowledge of business practices obtained in most MBA programs will allow you to move into the higher ranks of healthcare administration, especially if you have previous experience in healthcare as a provider. I know several people with MBAs from third tier schools that are very high up in the organization structure of their respective hospitals (all of them very reputable and in the northeast.)