President of Texas Nurse Anesthetists SLAMS Physicians in Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kungpao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
THE FOLLOWING WAS DISTRIBUTED IN HOUSTON TEXAS AMONG RESIDENTS THIS WEEK.

Dear All,

As the politics of medicine continue to evolve, we wanted to bring your attention to a current Congressional race in our district between Dr. Susan Curling (anesthesiologist) and Dan Huberty. While physicians have often not been politically active, our CRNA colleagues have been. In fact, we have included an email from TANA president Kent Cannaday, CRNA which talks directly about this race:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can possibly participate in this please do so. It would be to all
CRNAs / APRNs advantage. We need to see if we can help get this
gentleman elected.

There is a fundraiser for Dan Huberty, Candidate for HD 127, on Thurs,
3/25/10 from 5:30-7pm at Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen, 1962 West
Gray, Houston.

This is an open seat currently held by Rep. Joe Crabb. In the Republican
Primary, there will be a RUN-OFF between Humble school board
president Dan Huberty who got 48.73% of the vote; and
ANESTHESIOLOGIST, Dr. Susan Curling, who took 20.01%.

Gang, we do not need another physician in the legislature. We already have
a 4th one with the election in Georgetown of Dr. Charles Schwertner to
take Dan Gattis' seat. A 5th one is NOT needed.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO GET YOUR COLLEAGUES,
FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO THIS FUNDRAISER, AND CALL THE
CAMPAIGN TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP: put up yard
signs, block walk, make phone calls, work at the polls, take people to vote,
whatever it takes!! This is important!!!

For details, or information on attending contact: Debbie Ellis: 713.526.3399

Kent Cannaday, CRNA
President TANA

We strongly urge you to become more politically active, contribute to Dr. Curling's campaign, and donate your time and energy to the ASA Political Action Committee.

Dr. Susan Curling: www.susancurling.com

ASA PAC: http://www.asawebapps.org/docs/asapac.asp

Best regards,

(author names deleted)

Members don't see this ad.

We need to stand with our own like the lawyers do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately the political environment right now is in their favor.
We are being portrayed by politicians as an expensive unnecessary commodity and the midlevel alternative is being increasingly presented as the future of medicine in this country.
Congratulations America, you will get your health care delivered by nurses while the rest of the world has properly trained physicians.

So, looking at motivation here, what does this say about that particular CRNA?
He feels threatened by having a physician in a leadership role?
They'd rather have someone ignorant of healthcare in congress rather than someone that is a part of healthcare delivery?
Have CRNAs put up the same fight against other physicians, or just anesthesiologists?
They would actively campaign against someone that will fight for better compensation for anesthestic services rather than risk having an anesthesiologist in congress?

Wow.

Goota get rid of these guys, they are a cancer for medicine

Very true. These bitter crnas with massive chips on their shoulders are a detriment to patient care.

They show their petty, pathetic machinations towards our healthcare system every time they speak.

Couldn't have said it better, aredoubleyou.

Dr. Susan Curling is a class act. I gave her a combined $200 for her campaign and she wrote me a personal thank you note. I sincerely hope she wins.

We are being portrayed by politicians as an expensive unnecessary commodity and the midlevel alternative is being increasingly presented as the future of medicine in this country.
Congratulations America, you will get your health care delivered by nurses while the rest of the world has properly trained physicians.

See you in Sydney in 2016!

November could not be here soon enough.

THE FOLLOWING WAS DISTRIBUTED IN HOUSTON TEXAS AMONG RESIDENTS THIS WEEK.

Dear All,

As the politics of medicine continue to evolve, we wanted to bring your attention to a current Congressional race in our district between Dr. Susan Curling (anesthesiologist) and Dan Huberty. While physicians have often not been politically active, our CRNA colleagues have been. In fact, we have included an email from TANA president Kent Cannaday, CRNA which talks directly about this race:

"If you can possibly participate in this please do so. It would be to all
CRNAs / APRNs advantage. We need to see if we can help get this
gentleman elected.

There is a fundraiser for Dan Huberty, Candidate for HD 127, on Thurs,
3/25/10 from 5:30-7pm at Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen, 1962 West
Gray, Houston.

This is an open seat currently held by Rep. Joe Crabb. In the Republican
Primary, there will be a RUN-OFF between Humble school board
president Dan Huberty who got 48.73% of the vote; and
ANESTHESIOLOGIST, Dr. Susan Curling, who took 20.01%.

Gang, we do not need another physician in the legislature. We already have
a 4th one with the election in Georgetown of Dr. Charles Schwertner to
take Dan Gattis' seat. A 5th one is NOT needed.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO GET YOUR COLLEAGUES,
FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO THIS FUNDRAISER, AND CALL THE
CAMPAIGN TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP: put up yard
signs, block walk, make phone calls, work at the polls, take people to vote,
whatever it takes!! This is important!!!

For details, or information on attending contact: Debbie Ellis: 713.526.3399

Kent Cannaday, CRNA
President TANA

We strongly urge you to become more politically active, contribute to Dr. Curling's campaign, and donate your time and energy to the ASA Political Action Committee.

Dr. Susan Curling: www.susancurling.com

ASA PAC: http://www.asawebapps.org/docs/asapac.asp

Best regards,

(author names deleted)

:thumbdown:

Hey Plankton, sure it makes logical sense to go for the cheaper cost effective route of hiring more CRNA's (were not even going to address patient safety because thats a whole different variable in this debate, just cost). Do you anticipate less job security for Anesthesiologists or are we just going to have to take a pay cut? I mean the CRNA's could not possibly compete with us on a level playing field right? If there is a job in a hospital in Atlanta, Georgia for a salary of $180,000, a desperate anesthesiologist who is willing to take the job will always be hired over the CRNA, right? I get confused when you all talk about how CRNA's are winning this race.

Hey Plankton, sure it makes logical sense to go for the cheaper cost effective route of hiring more CRNA's (were not even going to address patient safety because thats a whole different variable in this debate, just cost). Do you anticipate less job security for Anesthesiologists or are we just going to have to take a pay cut? I mean the CRNA's could not possibly compete with us on a level playing field right? If there is a job in a hospital in Atlanta, Georgia for a salary of $180,000, a desperate anesthesiologist who is willing to take the job will always be hired over the CRNA, right? I get confused when you all talk about how CRNA's are winning this race.
I don't know because at that point I will be in Australia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the private forum for more international opportunities. Physicians command 2-3k per day as anesthesiologists.

Dr. Susan Curling is a class act. I gave her a combined $200 for her campaign and she wrote me a personal thank you note. I sincerely hope she wins.

I'm thinking I'd like to contribute to her campaign as well!

I don't know because at that point I will be in Australia.

crap. i don't think DO's have practice rights in australia!!!

sigh. i guess i'll just stay here and open up a cash only manipulation clinic.

I have to think that if the email can be forwarded to the board of medicine in TX, they would be interested in seeing it.

Lots of interesting moves by CRNA's in Texas...

(from the TANA) "On January 21 and 22, 2010, the Coalition for Nurses in Advanced Practice (CNAP) held a retreat ..... in Austin, Texas. CNAP members include... Texas Association of Nurse Anesthetists (TANA)..... On Friday, the majority of the day was devoted to developing a tactical plan to have the Board of Nursing grant prescriptive authority.

Make no mistake - CRNA's in Texas and across the country are rabidly advocating drastic expansion of their scope of practice. I'm very familiar with the pain management debate and how they try and sidestep medical practice acts by claiming that pain management is the "practice of nursing". This is the first time I've seen them use the same tactic to get prescriptive authority.

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup:
This is what we need. Someone looking out for patient's and physician's interests.

you need to get your head examined if u think an ambulance chaser is looking out for anyones best interest other than his own.....thats a laughable concept.

you need to get your head examined if u think an ambulance chaser is looking out for anyones best interest other than his own.....thats a laughable concept.

That's generally true. It'd be hard to not become evil. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and I can stick with medicine. They got Al Capone on tax evasion, right? I wouldn't mind getting paraprofessionals on malpractice since the board of mursing doesn't regulate appropriately and the government is for sale.

That's generally true. It'd be hard to not become evil. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and I can stick with medicine. They got Al Capone on tax evasion, right? I wouldn't mind getting paraprofessionals on malpractice since the board of mursing doesn't regulate appropriately and the government is for sale.

uh yeah, then you and the other bloodsuckers u associate with realize that the MDs make more 2-3x $ and well wouldnt it be easier to ruin one MD than take the time w 2-3 crnas......the day that Tort reform becomes law will be a great day for HC overall. YOU people are far more costly and threatening to the HC world than a bunch of midlevels.

uh yeah, then you and the other bloodsuckers u associate with realize that the MDs make more 2-3x $ and well wouldnt it be easier to ruin one MD than take the time w 2-3 crnas......the day that Tort reform becomes law will be a great day for HC overall. YOU people are far more costly and threatening to the HC world than a bunch of midlevels.

YOU people? I'm a doctor speculating about becoming a lawyer if medicine gets ruined too much by the communist turn of our government or by paraprofessionals bribing their way into our profession. I'm not threatening to HC at all. I'm actually anti-lawyer to an almost excessive degree. It would be excessive if they weren't the source of some many of the world's ills. A few of them actually, maybe incidentally, maybe accidentally, do something positive - like those suing the government over the unconstitutional HC bill.

YOU people? I'm a doctor speculating about becoming a lawyer if medicine gets ruined too much by the communist turn of our government or by paraprofessionals bribing their way into our profession. I'm not threatening to HC at all. I'm actually anti-lawyer to an almost excessive degree. It would be excessive if they weren't the source of some many of the world's ills. A few of them actually, maybe incidentally, maybe accidentally, do something positive - like those suing the government over the unconstitutional HC bill.

Gasaddict54 stills smells of a murse to me. I hope I am wrong.

"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

Indeed it is Doze. You strengthen my arguement every time you speak.

The question is who benefits and who doesn't. I'll continue waking folks (Volks???) up. Don't worry.

I suspect you're including surgeons in that group. Since they're the ones we really provide service to, I wonder why they aren't readily and publicly joining the fight. No critical mass as of yet and this fight is at least 40 years old.