pressure to prescribe drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actw1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking up a psychiatrist named Peter Breggin, who has spoken against the pharmaceuticals for their demand for psychiatrists to prescribe drugs. I am not entirely familiar in this field and am currently deciding between a PhD in clinical psychology or an MD as a psychiatrist.

I am assuming, after looking up Peter Breggin's website and reading his book "Toxic Psychiatry" that many cases of mental issues that a patient presents can actually be taken care of without any drug prescription. In his opinion, the reason psychiatrist prescribe drugs was due to the fact that in the 70s, the drug industry was suffering and needed a new avenue to gain revenue.

Peter Breggin's website is www.breggin.com

Now, I wish to hear from the psychiatry community, since I have an interest in going into this area in the near future. If I do not prescribe drugs for my patients, will I be looked down upon for not being a good psychiatrist? And am I going to be required to foster the philosophy that most mental problems in the patients, including depression, anxiety, and other psychological issues, are, as a fact, bio-chemical?

Members don't see this ad.

Reducing the causation of any event to one variable, in any discipline, is not reflective of reality. The truth is mental illness is influenced by physiology, environment, and individual factors (e.g., attributional style). In a comprehensive treatment plan, all three should be addressed. I went the PhD route, so I can't speak to medical training. I am familiar with Dr. Breggin's work, and he does highlight some valid criticism of psychiatry but his view is much too extreme and, I think, he relishes in being a polemic.

I have been looking up a psychiatrist named Peter Breggin, who has spoken against the pharmaceuticals for their demand for psychiatrists to prescribe drugs. I am not entirely familiar in this field and am currently deciding between a PhD in clinical psychology or an MD as a psychiatrist.

I am assuming, after looking up Peter Breggin's website and reading his book "Toxic Psychiatry" that many cases of mental issues that a patient presents can actually be taken care of without any drug prescription. In his opinion, the reason psychiatrist prescribe drugs was due to the fact that in the 70s, the drug industry was suffering and needed a new avenue to gain revenue.

Peter Breggin's website is www.breggin.com

Now, I wish to hear from the psychiatry community, since I have an interest in going into this area in the near future. If I do not prescribe drugs for my patients, will I be looked down upon for not being a good psychiatrist? And am I going to be required to foster the philosophy that most mental problems in the patients, including depression, anxiety, and other psychological issues, are, as a fact, bio-chemical?

Last edited:
Peter Breggin never actually finished a residency in psychiatry. He started one and then dropped out.

I think there's definitely a place for criticism of over-prescription of drugs in psychiatry and in all fields of medicine. The pharmaceutical industry definitely has a drive to push their products that must be kept in check. HOWEVER, this drive is also what's lead to the advancement of pharmacologic treatment options currently available. So there needs to be a balance.

I read one of Breggin's books - How to get off psychiatric medication. It had some decent advice. However, it was very polemic and also very poorly researched. He heavily footnoted in the book to give the appearance of speaking with sound evidence, but when I looked up many of the sources they didn't fit what he was talking about. He really twisted the research to fit his agenda and it really made me question HIS motives.

Most fields of medicine are open to criticism. Consider the recent cases of Avandia, Vioxx, and Oxycodone. Psychiatry should follow the lead of most fields of medicine and accept criticism, but also keep in mind that pharma investment is what advances our field. It will always be a trade off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming, after looking up Peter Breggin's website and reading his book "Toxic Psychiatry" that many cases of mental issues that a patient presents can actually be taken care of without any drug prescription.

That's absolutely right. Instead of pharamceuticals, all you need are two new parents that don't abuse their children, a house without lead paint peeling everywhere, good nutrition, sidewalks, drug dealers behind bars, an education system that is not an underfunded baby sitting service, a subscription to the opera, and legalized prostitution.

all you need are two new parents that don't abuse their children, a house without lead paint peeling everywhere, good nutrition, sidewalks, drug dealers behind bars, an education system that is not an underfunded baby sitting service, a subscription to the opera, and legalized prostitution.

Do they have to be in that order?
My HMO requires me to try sidewalks and prostitution before they'll pay for new parents. I don't know if they accept documentation of prostitution ON the sidewalk as a "trial" of both. But at least they don't require me to sit through opera!

I think several psychiatrists should read Breggin, only because he brings up some salient questions that aren't often asked in our profession that need to be answered.

However, as a whole I question some of his ideas & publications which may possibly be self serving.

For example he has brought up several arguments which attack any field of medicine, but he selectively chooses psychiatry.

E.g. he argues that studies where psyche meds are found superior vs placebo in RCT, double blinded placebo controlled studies should not be considered valid because these meds have side effects, while placebos do not. Therefore, if a person feels the side effects--the person in the study will realize they have the real medication, and thus will believe it will work, thus the real medication is a placebo.

OK--doesn't that apply to all meds? Psychiatric or not? Someone on Nexium feels some type of side effect from it and will think its the real med in a study? OK Breggin, why selectively only attack psychiatric meds?

Also factor in that some placebos could cause side effects depending on what the placebo is made of, and with several psychotropics, side effects may be the minority, not the majority of them.

That's just one example. Several of his arguments have the same problems.

But just like this guy, who raked in millions....
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Cures...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242007959&sr=1-3

There's a market for people who want to make anti-medical statements.

I have read Toxic Psychiatry, and I do agree with Breggin on several points--
1-Not all patients with a mental illness need medication. Several disorders such as depression & anxiety (which are the top 2 in prevalence) do not need medications if on the weaker spectrum, and the patient does not want them.
2-psychotherapy definitely has its place and unfortunately because of market forces, this aspect is being used less & less.
3-several doctors (not just psychiatrists) throw pills at the patient without educating them adequately on what can be done to treat their illness other than medication.

Which is one of the reasons why I do think several of Breggin's points should be addressed in a psychiatric residency program. However Breggin has become IMHO something of a Kevorkian with his cause. Kevorkian's own wierdness & grandstanding have made euthanasia more of a freak topic vs a serious topic for debate in the US. In Europe, its taken more seriously.

If I do not prescribe drugs for my patients, will I be looked down upon for not being a good psychiatrist? And am I going to be required to foster the philosophy that most mental problems in the patients, including depression, anxiety, and other psychological issues, are, as a fact, bio-chemical?

IMHO you will be an even better psychiatrist if you do not prescribe medicaitons for every single person who wants one. That being said, there are several psychiatric disorders where meds really are needed--Schizophrenia, Bipolar I, Major Depressive DO with psychotic features.

There are some institutions that highly focus on psychiatrists only fulfilling a prescribing role because of the market forces I mentioned. In that case, if you do not feel the person needs medication, you can refer them to the right people for psychotherapy alone.

Several of Breggin's criticisms of psychiatry are because of specific bad psychiatrists. He may cite an example where someone was misdiagnosed. There are bad doctors in every specialty. He however cognitively distorts the cases of bad psychiatrists to attack the entire field. In that case, maybe because of one bad politician, the concept of representative government should be dismantled, or because of 1 bad cop, all legal enforcement is bad etc.

However, it was very polemic and also very poorly researched. He heavily footnoted in the book to give the appearance of speaking with sound evidence, but when I looked up many of the sources they didn't fit what he was talking about. He really twisted the research to fit his agenda and it really made me question HIS motives.
Which is why I wonder if he is self serving in his interests. He appears occasionally on Fox's the O'Rielly Factor which I'm sure paid him quite a sum of money (someone correct me if I'm wrong), he's publishing books and making money off of them, he's on the lecture circuit etc.

I think if this guy was for real, he wouldn't have picked a polemic tone, and his sources would've been real. It seems though to me that since several of his arguments are weak (alongside with the ones that actually are worthy of consideration) he's trying to fill up space to get another publication out for profit, and chooses the polemic tone because it'll increase sales of his book, as well as his public persona.

Last edited:
thanks for the straight answer....she will appreciate it......