Prestige: Important or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExistentialistPhilosopher

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really that important to try to get into a medical school with some prestige? I'm planning on specializing in psychiatry, which is not as competitive as the other fields, so I doubt that I would need the clout of my school to compete for residencies. I've never taken stock in US news rankings; I always thought they meant very little. Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, a top 10-like med school can be a great plus in getting a top 10-like PSY residency. But if you just want to be a good, wholesome practitioner, simply go wherever is cheapest for you.

Oh, and I also wanted to add that I'm new to the board. From the posts I've read, all of you seem friendly and normal for the most part, which makes me happy. I was starting to think that the career path to medicine involved the acquisition of big egos, superiority complexes, and supercompetitive, hostile attitudes.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually from what I've heard...you can graduate from any accreditted american medical school MD/DO and get in almost anywhere you want...as long as you have a solid transcript

Generally speaking, the most competitive residencies at the most competitive programs will look for candidates from the best schools. It is very difficult, but not impossible, for a DO to get into a very competitive residency at a top tier program, even with top USMLE scores. So, if you are thinking Derm, Rads, or Plastics, aim for prestigious schools as your best bet.