Prestige of dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SrJulio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that this may have been asked a couple times by others, but I am just wondering if school names make any difference after people graduate from dental schools. I mean med students have to do residency, so I understand. But dental schools? Dental schools are not ranked like med schools.

Will a dentist from a small school be looked down by another dentist from some prestigious school say Harvard? Do people care where their dentist got their degree?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I know that this may have been asked a couple times by others, but I am just wondering if school names make any difference after people graduate from dental schools. I mean med students have to do residency, so I understand. But dental schools? Dental schools are not ranked like med schools.

Will a dentist from a small school be looked down by another dentist from some prestigious school say Harvard? Do people care where their dentist got their degree?

Thanks
The only people that care are future employers and residencies. Patients do not care where you went to.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Thanks
Generally no. The dental school you attend doesn't matter. I doubt you will be looked down on based solely on which school you attended. If you're a bad dentist however, that's another story.

Members don't see this ad :)
For being a general dentist, name does not matter whatsoever. Some schools have "reputations" such as harvards "reputation" of not putting out general dentist, but no one will look down for going to a school etc, people will judge you based on your skills, interactions with patients and interactions with other dentist. School name is pointless.

And really, school name is pointless in trying to specialize. From what I understand, some schools specialize more because they simply have more students that want to specialize. Or they put more emphasis on it. Columbia pushes for certain specialties (such as public health in my interview) whereas a school like Midwestern AZ will say why specialize when you can do anything as a general dentist (my friend is placing implants as a D3).
Those things make it "seem" like name matters. But in all reality, if any random student wanted to specialize he could go to Touro and do it or he could go to Harvard and do it. The only determining factor is the student and the effort they put in for grades and standardized tests and their ability to network and go on externships etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thanks everyone. Just planning ahead, as I will be applying during the next cycle

Last edited:
Midwestern AZ will say why specialize when you can do anything as a general dentist (my friend is placing implants as a D3).
Do they really say that? Just curious lol

Knew you would chime in :)
The only school I encountered along the way that seemed to really push general dentistry was LECOM.

MWU AZ basically said that because you are paying $$$$$$$, you should graduate having learned as much as they could possibly teach you in those 4 years. They referred us as being "consumers of education" and asked about our comments on it in the actual interview.

Do they really say that? Just curious lol

When I was there they really did say this. At least one faculty member. And it was in the context of how adept their students were/will be. I am not saying that they discourage specializing but that they encourage proficient generals.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi,

Thanks
Who cares what other dentists think of you based on your Alma mater? For all you know, that Harvard grad finished last in his class.
As long you are honest with yourself and know exactly how good of a doctor you are, it doesn't matter what your peers think. You will be judged on your reputation as a dentist, not what school you went to.
As far as specializing, then yes, school does play a certain factor. That's because certain schools have a reputation for preparing their grads for success in specialty programs.