Prestige of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedRower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know that pedigree is very important in business (be it consulting, finance, etc). My question is, what schools do people in business recognize as being prestigious? Beyond Harvard/Hopkins/Stanford, does it matter? What schools would comprise a top tier/the top tiers?

For some reason, I doubt that those outside of medicine would rank schools the same way residency directors would. Although I would love to be corrected.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I know that pedigree is very important in business (be it consulting, finance, etc). My question is, what schools do people in business recognize as being prestigious? Beyond Harvard/Hopkins/Stanford, does it matter? What schools would comprise a top tier/the top tiers?

For some reason, I doubt that those outside of medicine would rank schools the same way residency directors would. Although I would love to be corrected.

biz recognizes even less med schools as "top notch" than residencies...meaning places like WashU, Case and Emory dont pull in the same wow factor as the 3 you mentioned: HMS, Stanford and Hop. Even tho arguably WashU and Emory are outright superior to Stanford and comparable to Hop for medical education.

So you are correct in saying biz people/laymen dont have the same list as residency directors/MDs.

I would throw Penn, Yale and Columbia into the biz top 5 as well even tho I personally consider the current Yale med school curriculum as subpar...

Members don't see this ad :)
has a really good one actually.

Interesting. Regarding medical schools, though, does everyone agree with the assessment above about the tiers of prestige in the business world?

I went to a top 3 business school and have 6 years of experience in top consulting and private equity firms and this is my 2 cents:

You are underestimating "business people." The best ones are very smart and analytical. They know how to get value for their money -that includes recruiting. They do their research and they know their stuff. Try interviewing for a top tier firm. No BS allowed.....they know their stuff. You actually think they will pay out $$$$$ without evidence and data to back it up? These people k now how to do their "due dilgence" as they say, just like they know how to pick apart a company and negotiate the best deal. These are some of the most saavy and well educated/read people around.

No worries, UCSF does just fine. UCSF is one of the very best medical schools in the world (Wash U also) and they know that.

Also, stop getting hung up on "prestige." Performance is what matters in business. And they (e.g. McKinsey) really do care how smart you are. If you come from Harvard or UCSF but you have no leadership skills, you won't last. Vice versa if you come from a lesser known school but can deliver the goods you'll have opportunities.

If you really wish to split hairs, it is also well known that Stanford's business, law, and undergraduate institutions are stronger than it's medical school. Stanford med is not quite regarded in the same tier is Harvard, Johns Hopkins, or UCSF, although it's almost there. This includes Stanford's residency programs which for the most part also lag abit behind. Nonetheless Stanford Med has a very low acceptance rate, it has some of the smartest students, and the Silicon Valley location and entreprenurial culture make it very reputable.