'Prestige' of science prof LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJonesss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting to collect my LOR's in preparation for next years app cycle...ahhhh this is all happening way too fast!!!

Anyway, when I thought about my science letters I immediately thought of the prof who taught me Physics II in a summer class. Coincidentally, I've had him several times as a high school teacher, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out he was teaching college physics at the local university. He knows me very well as a student and a person, and I feel he could write me a great letter. The only thing is, he's not a PhD, is this going to look bad to adcoms? (btw, the summer course wasn't at a community college but a regular 4-year, reputable university...not trying to talk down on CC's, just sayin).

Him on why we use safety equipment:
"There would be shrapnel, Glass would break, teeth would gnash, babies would cry, and I'd be sued and would have to run off to Mexico."
I love this man.

Members don't see this ad.

"Prestige" isn't really related to your degree.

If he's a full time, regularly appointed professor (faculty), it may be OK to get his letter. Generally PhDs are preferred.

Really it's risky, but if he can write you a really good letter, it may be worth it over a PhD who can't write as good a letter.

If he's a full time, regularly appointed professor (faculty), it may be OK to get his letter. Generally PhDs are preferred.

He's listed as faculty, but he only teaches in the summer. Obviously he can't teach at the univ full time because he has high school classes.
hmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he'd make a good character letter, but you may want to get letters from other science professors and just include this as an extra.

I don't understand what the problem would be. He is a faculty member you took classes with, who cares if hes a PhD or not. Its not like you're getting a recommendation from a TA.

I don't understand what the problem would be. He is a faculty member you took classes with, who cares if hes a PhD or not. Its not like you're getting a recommendation from a TA.
agree 100%.