prestige - pharm d vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramy2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a tough decision to make since it doesn't look like I will be able to get into an MD program because of low MCAT's (26). I was wondering which has more prestige - DO's or Pharm D's? I was told by my premed advisor the order was clearly: MD, DO, international MD then DPM. How do Pharm D's fit into the picture? I was wondering if I should apply for a pharm d or try a DO program. It seems like a pharm d would be more mainline. I am not trying to start a fight but just trying to get opinions.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

first of all you need to figure out for yourself why prestige is so important fo you...

second of all Pharm Ds and MDs/DOs are in 2 separate categories, and therefore can't be compared.... I personally believe that a Pharm D is very prestigious in the pharmacy community, since that is the highest title available.

but i think you need to ask yourself why you are going into medicine.... and what kind of medicine you would see yourself practicing in 20 years.... if you are fascinated by feet then become a DPM, if you are fascinated with manipulation and the spine then become a chiropractor, if you are fascinated by teeth then become a dentist...

if prestige is sooo important to you, then you might want to consider retaking the MCATs.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by dramy2002
I have a tough decision to make since it doesn't look like I will be able to get into an MD program because of low MCAT's (26). I was wondering which has more prestige - DO's or Pharm D's? I was told by my premed advisor the order was clearly: MD, DO, international MD then DPM. How do Pharm D's fit into the picture? I was wondering if I should apply for a pharm d or try a DO program. It seems like a pharm d would be more mainline. I am not trying to start a fight but just trying to get opinions.
Thanks

Sweety, let me give you some advice.
I used to be all caught up in the prestige thing too and you know what? It depressed me. My whole family has degrees in medicine,law , engineering...you name it..phd..md..jd ..
For the longest time i told myself I had to get a MD/JD/PHD

Do what makes you happy!! I will assume that you are of asian descent because prestige is a big part of the culture....don't get sucked into it!

Think about it, prestige...you basically do whatever so OTHER PEOPLE can look at you and go "wow"...yeah okay..they wow for a second and that is it. You, on the other hand, have to live with your decision for your whole entire life.

I totally agree with Ten--- straight and simple answer to your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dramy2002
Thanks
So if someone on this board told you that a pharmacist's job carries more prestige,would that be your choice? You simply cannot make a decision based on something as irrevelant as prestige.If you have to "settle" for pharmacy or any other profession because you cannot get into med school,how can you possibly think you will be happy in the long run.Things such as prestige,respect etc are not a good basis of a career decision.Do you LIKE pharmacy? Do you LIKE dentistry? Do you LIKE osteopathic medicine? If not why not rethink your decision and try to up that mcat score?
You really don't want to be stuck in a career that has a lot of prestige but leaves you unhappy and unfulfilled.Either way you go these careers each bring their own set of commitments and challenges.

I do not want to go into a profession which has little respect. Everyone respects MD's and looks up to them, but what about pharm d's? From the community as a whole, do they receive a lot of respect? I do not want to go into a profession that anybody can get into.

dramy2002... you are obviously very young and naive... the thought that you would dedicate your whole life to something just purely so you can say: "not just anybody can get the training i got" and so that the community "respects you" is absolutely astonishing.... are you really so weak that you must rely on others? I am a physician, and I love what I do, and i don't give a crap what the community thinks of me... just as long as my patients do well

Dramy2002,

You've got some SERIOUS issues you've got to work out. For starters, from what you posted in your responses, and from what other posters have already eluded to, it is very, very obvious that you are young, naive, and immature. It is unbelievable to me how anyone could have the mentality to want to go for a profession just because it has the "most" prestige. Have you even given some thought about what the daily life is in these different health professions, what you would actually be DOING on a day-to-day basis in these different health professions rather than worrying about which profession will cause your friends to say, "OOOOOHHHHHHH WOW" the most. I'll give you some really, really good serious advice Dramy and I'm not trying to be mean in any way. Please go to a therapist and tell him/her you need to gain some self confidence, boost your self esteem, and learn how to have some self respect. Once you have these figured out, it'll be clear as day which profession is the right one for you.

Jupiter1

oh and dramy2002 you may want to change your handle to just amy2002 - you are far from being a doctor, very far...

Dramy2002,

Listen you poor excuse for a human being..."I have to be successful..I have to respect my culture...I have to show everyone that I'm better than them...I need my Mercedes Benz and I need to let everyone know that I have one...in fact, if I become a doctor, I'm going to let everyone know so that I can get more respect...my license plate and my credit cards will have "DR" on them, everything that has to do with me will have "DR" on it."

Listen, you're PATHETIC!!! What does prestige have to do with anything, you status hungry, label digging insecure gold digger? Why are you picking a career that is prestigious anyway? Why do you care what the rest of the world thinks anyway? Why do you get your self worth, self-esteem and confidence from others? You're really pathetic...I hope you know that. Anyone who has a brain, is grounded in good morals and values, wouldn't choose a profession because it makes them look prestigious. PLEASE!

Please check yourself into the nearest psychiatric ward and get your internal wiring checked. While your at it, check your parents in and the rest of your half-witted friends who have to choose careers based on prestige.

I'm guessing that you probably come from asian or persian decent since from what I've seen, these cultures tend to place so much emphasis on labels and money.

Your warped mindset needs some serious professional attention...I hope you realize this.

Dr. Mom,

I definitely understand your position, however, sometimes you have to shake people up to really get through to them. I felt that it was necessary to write this sort of reply to Dr. Amy2002 to let her know how pathetic her mindset is. I'm sure you can agree with me that she is "2 sandwiches short of a picnic" if she is choosing a career path based on prestige. I mean, where's her sense of worth if she has to choose a career path based on how she will be viewed by others?

I do apologize if I offended anyone with my reply, however, please understand my position. Sometimes it's just necessary to have direct, very open, and strong replies to let the other person know how much of an idiot they are.

Thanks for your feedback Dr. Mom.

What tha hell is up with the sweeping generalization that Asians and Persians are all about labels and prestige? Who the hell are you to judge? Is that how everyone thinks about Asians and Persians? I am extremely disappointed by the way some of our future health care professionals think.:mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who would go into any area of medicine or allied care for the prestige factor is nuts.

I'm not sure you even know what prestige means. (Do I? :confused: )

Do whatever it is that makes you happy.

Try both out for awhile.

I tried my hand working in retail pharmacy. Besides the free outdated drugs, there's not much benefit. (JOKE!!! :D )

Seriously...I found that it wasn't for me. It was interesting and I learned a ton of stuff, but I need to be in medicine.

And, if you're not sure about either...do everyone a favor and avoid the whole realm of healthcare in general. You will be happier and so will the sick people of the world.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dramy2002

You stated that you wanted to get into a profession that just not anybody could get in. Then what does that say for you "not doing so good on your MCAT's so deciding to do something else"? Are you saying your one of those "not just anybodies" who couldn't get into the profession of medicine? First of all, although I agree you need a stern wakeup call, I won't insult you or belittle you since I know this will not make you understand, but will make you defensive. If your heart truly lies with medicine and is not simply a ploy to make your family and friends jealous with envy, then don't just lie down and accept not being a doctor. I firmly believe (though it may sound stupid to others) that anyone can be anything they want if they want it bad enough and work hard enough for it. Depending on your grades, there are other routes you can take to attaining your goal of becoming a Dr. Your ultimate goal is to become a licensed, practicing physician; it doesn't matter if it's MD or DO, a "designer" school or "generic" school. As long as the curriculum is sound and of good quality, pursue your dream! If need be, retake the MCAT's (although as I stated, you may still be able to get into some med schools depending on your GPA).

Good luck Dramy2002 and please open up your eyes soon. This is your life and I'm sure you'd want to be happy for it's duration!

Comming from a family full of doctors (MD's & DO's) as well as being someone who will start medical school in the fall, I have to tell you dramy2002 that if you go into medicine for any other reason then the fact it really really excites you, then you are in for a world of hurt. Medicine is just not worth it if the desire to become a doctor comes from any place but the heart. There are just too many sacrafices involved. You know what the dean on one of the schools told us? He told us that medicine will take away the best years of your life. You become a slave to it, and unless you really really want to be a doctor you are going to hate sacraficing all that you have to. I can pretty much say that it goes to all the fields you talked about. If you want to do something that not just any body can do go and compete for the olympics or develop some kind of talent like singing or danceing or something....god it's way too late I'm going to bed.
Good luck with your life.

PS
if you are still in school stop by the psycological services office and have a chat with the people there. They might be able to help you with your decicions

Originally posted by Kovox

Do what makes you happy!! I will assume that you are of asian descent because prestige is a big part of the culture....don't get sucked into it!

Good lord...what a stereotypical statement. I liked how you make that judgement just on the SOLE fact that she's into it for prestige. I find that statement alone more reprehensible than anything the original poster was saying. I assume you think asians speakie in broken enguhlish as well. I don't think that was the intent of your message so I will give you the benefit of doubt. But please in the future...understand that such generalizations are very offensive and racist.

And...I think everyone should get off this girl's back. I mean...we might not agree with her reasoning...but this is a free country. And ppl do things for different reasons. If someone said they would do a job for money...would we start yelling at them too? I understand the medical fields are seen in another light than other fields...but still...everyone's motivation in life is different. And let's respect them for that. As future physicians, pharmicists, whatever...we shouldn't impose our moral standards on other ppl. Just because we might not agree with her doesn't give us the right to rip her. It's like a pack of wolves. I just have to say this...if you do anything solely for money/prestige/or such superficial things..most likely you won't be satisfied with your job in the future. IF you can live with that..more power to you... Ideally you shoud do something you truly enjoy and be happy.

Oh goodness.... that was stupid.
People go into pharmacy for many reasons (lifestyle, different jobs available, they love it, etc.) and not just b/c they can't get into med school. I also suppose no one would really like to be a nurse...they only do it b/c they can't be a doctor, right?

Troll....troll....troll.

Originally posted by Molybdenum
Come on people, lets be honest: people pursue pharmacy because they don't get into MD/DO school. All of my friends and relatives go into pharmacy for this very simple reason. There's really nothing wrong with it, because med schools are getting so competitive nowadays. But it's very interesting to see that people can make up so much crap to convince people how fun it is to count pills in supermarket.

That has to be the single most ill-informed statement I have seen posted here yet. Keep it up!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by INevrLearn
That has to be the single most ill-informed statement I have seen posted here yet. Keep it up!:rolleyes:

I will second that!

I had the grades and EC and whatever else to get into BOTH med school and pharmacy school, however I like the idea of having a life outside of school. I didn't even bother to apply MD/DO since I knew that I didn't want my life sucked away from me......

Tlh, I seriously doubt that. Anyone who enters pharmacy school does so b/c they are not smart enough to make it in med school....just kidding of course. Take me for example, I went into pharmacy school because I wasn't smart enough for med school...oh wait...never mind.

>>"people pursue pharmacy because they don't get into MD/DO school"

Molybdenum, I noticed from your posts that you seem to be having some trouble getting into an MD program...maybe you might want to consider the lowly profession of pharmacy. I did see your acceptance to a DO school, congrats.

For everyone's enjoyment, here are a few posts by Molybdenum:

"It's so funny to hear these law students and MBA students brag about how they will find better paying jobs than physicians. In general, they are just using that as an excuse for not having the grades and MCAT scores to get into medical schools (MD or DO), or not even possess the necessary scientific aptitude to study biomedical science."

Another good one: "Please tell me if this is true: I heard (from med students) that med school girls are all going after their male classmates because they want to marry doctors. Conversely, male med students try to avoid med school girls in general because they are too bossy and nerdy. Any insights into this interesting phenomenon? Or is this another BS that people circulate around?"

Molybdenum, you honestly make me sick. I view medicine as the most sacred profession (no offense to my pharmacy friends). You epitomize the steriotypical egotistical, condescending doctor that people (rightfully) despise. To see someone take such a sacred profession and turn it into an "I'm much better than you because I'm in med school" makes me sick. You stated that you had some trouble getting into a few allopathic schools, despite your above average test scores. I might know the reason; I'll give you a hint, your attitude sucks. One day, probably day one of whatever med school you attend, you will quickly realize that you are not the hot stuff you think you are now.

I made a 38 on the mcat (>95th percentile in the nation) while in pharmacy school. Do you honestly think that you are more intelligent than everyone single person in pharmacy school? Ahh...med school will be a rude, and much needed, awakening for you.

That post was so stupid it deserves another post saying it was so stupid...you can always tell when I have a test coming up b/c I find every excuse I can not to study, such as posting here repeatedly.

Jason
Pharmacy school dropout

LSU,
I have to agree with again!

And good job on the research of Molybenum's post. Make her eat her own words.....

Hi
I have couple of friends in the PharmD program and Medical School never even crossed their minds. They were both very, very smart people. They wanted to be in pharmacy, for whatever reason. Therefore, no people do not only go into pharm bc they do not get into med school.

"It's so funny to hear these law students and MBA students brag about how they will find better paying jobs than physicians. In general, they are just using that as an excuse for not having the grades and MCAT scores to get into medical schools (MD or DO), or not even possess the necessary scientific aptitude to study biomedical science."

Moly, if you ineed posted that above comment, I'd like to say something.

I scored a 36 on the MCAT and I have a 3.87 from MIT/JHU/MD. I am applying both to pharm and medical school. I was already accepted to 3 medical schools and still waiting on the pharm.

I have asked myself again and again, which would I choose? To tell you the truth, the pharmacy route is so far more attractive than the medical route, just because I like the pharmacy lifestyle more than I do the medical.

MD/DO/PharmD/PH.D....none is smarter than the other. Moly, I respect your opinions and I have no problems with your voicing them but I sure as hell don't agree with 'em.