Prestigious undergrad school's effect on med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solarwinggx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a bit of context before you read this next bit. I'm was a transfer student who transferred to UC Berkeley. I applied to medical school during the 2016 cycle as a non-trad applicant and got rejected in 2017 (i had a 3.7 cgpa and a 30 MCAT).

I came to talk to my adviser (he my transfer advisor, my professor in two of my classes and wrote me an academic letter of rec) who thinks that Students from there have a problem where students are almost limited to applying to top tier schools. Naturally, any student with high GPA (like 3.8-4.0) and high MCAT will apply to high tier schools, but for students (like me) who have lower GPA's (i have a 3.7 cgpa, CC + berkeley average) applying to mid tier schools is a not a good idea as those schools will just see our application as "only applying here because their GPA isn't high enough"; this is exactly what he told me.

As far as I know, he's been advising students since 2007.
There's another student in my lab who also feels the same way, but her GPA and MCAT are all top tier level. She didn't apply to any mid tier schools because she thought that they will just look over her application as some one who is using a mid tier school as a safety net.

What do you guys think about this? is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's BS. Almost everyone, except for truly exceptional applicants, should be applying to mid-tiers. Only applying to top-tiers is a horrible idea.

Reactions: 9 users
I think that's BS. Almost everyone, except for truly exceptional applicants, should be applying to mid-tiers. Only applying to top-tiers is a horrible idea.
I came to talk to him about what to do next/strengthening my application. If that is what he told me, do you think he is trying to tell me that i shouldn't apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I came to talk to him about what to do next/strengthening my application. If that is what he told me, do you think he is trying to tell me that i shouldn't apply?
You don't have to listen to him. You need to apply broadly, especially as a reapplicant.

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly did he tell you? That you should only apply top-tier?
I mean, i didn't record what he was saying so i cant type out EXACTLY what he told me. My post reflects the gist of what he said along with the quote "only applying [to mid tier schools] because their GPA isn't high enough" along with the context of who I was to him. I agree that it seems like he thinks I should only apply top-tier, but since my GPA is locked in stone already it implies i shouldn't apply at all (which is not what im going to do).

I mean, i didn't record what he was saying so i cant type out EXACTLY what he told me. My post reflects the gist of what he said along with the quote "only applying [to mid tier schools] because their GPA isn't high enough" along with the context of who I was to him. I agree that it seems like he thinks I should only apply top-tier, but since my GPA is locked in stone already it implies i shouldn't apply at all (which is not what im going to do).
You should apply to high mid and low tier md, you should also apply to DO.....you just lost $200k by not getting in.

You can turn down the less impressive stuff when you have an acceptance you like more

a bit of context before you read this next bit. I'm was a transfer student who transferred to UC Berkeley. I applied to medical school during the 2016 cycle as a non-trad applicant and got rejected in 2017 (i had a 3.7 cgpa and a 30 MCAT).

I came to talk to my adviser (he my transfer advisor, my professor in two of my classes and wrote me an academic letter of rec) who thinks that Students from there have a problem where students are almost limited to applying to top tier schools. Naturally, any student with high GPA (like 3.8-4.0) and high MCAT will apply to high tier schools, but for students (like me) who have lower GPA's (i have a 3.7 cgpa, CC + berkeley average) applying to mid tier schools is a not a good idea as those schools will just see our application as "only applying here because their GPA isn't high enough"; this is exactly what he told me.

There's another student in my lab who also feels the same way, but her GPA and MCAT are all top tier level. She didn't apply to any mid tier schools because she thought that they will just look over her application as some one who is using a mid tier school as a safety net.

In order to apply only to top tiers, you need to have very strong stats and a compelling application. Although I think someone with a 3.9/526 with just standard ECs can probably safely apply to top tiers and get accepted regardless of what undergrad they went, since it's rare to have stats that high.

With a 3.7/30, you should be targeting mid and low tiers.

Someone with a 3.9/523+ can safely apply only to top tiers even with standard ECs and still get accepted.

If you look at the lists of UG schools represented by med schools, you'll notice there are tons of UCB students at every tier, even at the carribean institutions. So it is definitely not unusual at any mid tier to have students from there, among other top UG schools. The student in your lab was worried mid-tiers would view her as using them as a safety because she was an elite applicant, but with a 30 MCAT, youd be below the average at many mid-tiers, thus none would view it that way for you.

Someone with a 3.9/523+ can safely apply only to top tiers even with standard ECs and still get accepted.

Yeah but I think an applicant with a 3.9/523+ with average ECs qualifies as exceptional :p

I also think you overestimate how impressed everyone is with berkely

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

No I don't think he is trying to convey some kind of subliminal message to you.

Unfortunately not all pre med advisors are the best, and some kind of have a big head about their pre med program. It sounds like that could be going on with this guy. There is absolutely no rule that the "prestige" of your UG institution needs to match or be lower than where you attend med school.

I'm frankly pretty surprised you were unsuccessful last time, and strongly advise you apply to a range of mid tier and "low" tier schools next time. Honestly, it is so hard to get into any MD/DO school in the US. Just but MSAR, and apply where you have comparable stats.

I think he's trying to describe "yield protection." This is a real phenomenon, where schools do not waste an interview slot on a superstar they think is almost certain to get admitted, and choose to attend, a "better" school. So for example if you have a 4.0/525 from an Ivy undergrad, authored a paper, and have all the other boxes checked, then there is a good chance that some mid-tier schools will skip you because they don't think you'd ever actually end up attending them.

Having a 3.7 GPA, whether from a well recognized undergrad or not, will not get you yield protected. That's an extremely average GPA. It is completely appropriate for someone with a 3.7/30 from Cal, or Stanford for that matter, to apply to lots of mid-tier schools.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same shoes as yours... (even our GPAs are same :p) but what does Berkeley have to do with your question?

Let me answer with the spirit of @Goro...

Your advisor is a complete *****

Reactions: 1 user

That is total BS in regards to you. Keep in mind that the uc's have a modest acceptance rate so it's not as if they have awesome advising.

Anyway, are you going to be a reapplicant. When are you taking the mcat again since yours is old.

What are the stats of your lab friend. I still think it was a mistake not to apply to some midtiers. What does she consider midtier ...at what ranking does she think midtier begins. Did she just apply to all the top 20 and none others?

Your best bets are OOS private schools with a median MCAT around 508 where you are a first time applicant. Make sure they accept the old MCAT if you have not re-taken the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the shıt advisers say...

I'm a powerhouse applicant (objectively true, srry guyz) from an Ivy, with great numbers and great ECs. I applied to and got interviews at a number of mid-tier/low yield schools anyway. If you like what a school has to offer, be it a program or it's location or anything, then apply.