Pretend you are an ADCOM member interviewing an applicant. What bizarre question would you ask the interviewee to see how they react?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd ask "If I shrunk you down to the size of an ant, put you in a blender with fruits and vegetables with a straw in the middle of the blender but it smells like somebody has already used this straw and you can only hear Taylor Swift music I'm blasting in the room, how would you get out of the blender using your favorite glycolytic enzyme only?"

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Give me three reasons you should not be admitted to ABC School of Medicine.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
You’re a physician and took an oath to do no harm. Your patient is a Jehovah’s Witness who refuses a blood transfusion. The patient is unconscious and rapidly bleeding out. In theory, the patient might not know if they ever received a transfusion. You also have reason to believe the patient was unduly influenced/coerced by family members into refusing blood. There isn’t time for a court order and guardian ad litem. The next of kin is unavailable. What would you do? Do you let the patient die? Do you violate patient autonomy? How would you decide?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is a hotdog a sandwich? Be prepared to defend your answer.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
When was the last time you cried?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If you could get rid of one state in the union, and please be specific, which one would it be and why?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Who would win in a fight: Thor, god of Thunder, or Flubber, from the 1997 film starring Robin Williams?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
If you could get rid of one state in the union, and please be specific, which one would it be and why?

Looney Tunes Florida GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
Would you eat a poop hot dog to be auto-accepted here?

Then I'd whip out an empty hot dog bun and turn around and...

• Haha
If I were to view your “incognito mode” search history, would you be proud of what I’d see?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about something you've done that makes you cringe to remember it.
If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and why? (Answers related to medicine not allowed).
Are you still friends with all your exes? Why or why not?
If you could re-live one day in your life, without changing anything, what day would it be?
(Oh man, I could go on and on....)

• Love
  • Haha
I had a friend tell me that someone in a residency interview got asked how many times they masturbate a day

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
most def not a sandwich
Sandwich - two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between

I believe a hotdog fulfills this definition

Reactions: 2 users
Fight me on my stance that all food is either a sandwich or a salad.

Burritos. They are the ultimate food delivery mechanism. Thus at least one other category exist.

Reactions: 1 user
If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and why? (Answers related to medicine not allowed).
If you could re-live one day in your life, without changing anything, what day would it be?
Please do. It is helpful for interview prep.

Burritos. They are the ultimate food delivery mechanism. Thus at least one other category exist.
Mere conclusory language. A sandwich consists of topping wrapped in bread or bread-like substance ergo a burrito is a special subtype of sandwich.. 😈

Mere conclusory language. A sandwich consists of topping wrapped in bread or bread-like substance ergo a burrito is a special subtype of sandwich.. 😈

Fine then.

The pie predates the sandwich and was the original carbohydrates contained delivery mechanism for food. Thus sandwiches are just an improvement on pie.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Soup is a subcategory of salad. And smoothie a subcategory of soup.
Doesn't it depend on viscosity?

To make it relevant to the forum, we could discuss molecular forces that contributed to the defining properties.

Also cheesecake? Even a crustless variant?

We NEED Florida. It takes the brunt of many hurricanes and keeps them further away from me.

Last edited:
Pie predates sandwiches.
So hot dogs are a type of pie. But what is pie if not a bowl made of bread product filled with fruit soup? And we have already established that soup is a salad. Therefore, all foods are salad.

• Haha
So hot dogs are a type of pie. But what is pie if not a bowl made of bread product filled with fruit soup? And we have already established that soup is a salad. Therefore, all foods are salad.

Except a pie retains the spatial relation of the filling regardless of its orientation with respect to gravity whereas a soup or salad does not. A pie is an edible food delivery mechanism and the sandwich was merely an improvement on the underlying concept. It is qualitatively different than a "bread bowl" which is evidenced by the fact that their is a separate nomenclature for using bread to construct a bowl for a soup or filling.

Historically speaking this is lock-tight. Soups and salads require a separate container or vessel. In a pie, the vessel is itself edible and since pies predate sandwiches it is more likely that the sandwich is derived from the pie and not of independent origin. Thus, pies are a common ancestors of sandwiches, phylogenetically speaking.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Doesn't it depend on viscosity?

To make it relevant to the forum, we could discuss molecular forces that contributed to the defining properties.

Also cheesecake? Even a crustless variant?

We NEED Florida. It takes the brunt of many hurricanes and keeps them further away from me.
my thought process is either something is a food item mixed together, or a food item held within carbs. so viscosity doesn't really count.

Cheesecake would be a sandwich. it is held together by a carb. open faced sandwiches exist.

Reactions: 1 users
my thought process is either something is a food item mixed together, or a food item held within carbs. so viscosity doesn't really count.

Cheesecake would be a sandwich. it is held together by a carb. open faced sandwiches exist.

Except it is a pie which predates sandwiches.

does a pie pre-date sandwich chronologically through time or alphabetically?
Chronologically. The pie is dated to the Greeks. The sandwich is dated to the English.

-Tell me what you ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day over the past week
-Ariana or Beyonce?
-Give me a lecture on customer service and the food industry
-Chris Rock or Chris Brown?

Except a pie retains the spatial relation of the filling regardless of its orientation with respect to gravity whereas a soup or salad does not. A pie is an edible food delivery mechanism and the sandwich was merely an improvement on the underlying concept. It is qualitatively different than a "bread bowl" which is evidenced by the fact that their is a separate nomenclature for using bread to construct a bowl for a soup or filling.

Historically speaking this is lock-tight. Soups and salads require a separate container or vessel. In a pie, the vessel is itself edible and since pies predate sandwiches it is more likely that the sandwich is derived from the pie and not of independent origin. Thus, pies are a common ancestors of sandwiches, phylogenetically speaking.
Just as the salad requires a plate and soup requires a bowl, should not the pie tin - required in both the construction and baking of the pie -itself be considered a separate receptacle for serving?

I propose that these three receptacles - and perhaps even additional variations such as the bread bowl, cup, vase, and carafe - are all derived from a singular original food and beverage containing vessel AND THUS a singular original food.

Phylogenetically, this LUCF (Last Universal Common food) is none other than water. Water in cupped hands. Therefor, all foods belong to a single food classification. Different variations and configurations of water.

This debate is done. Let us put it to rest in an unlabeled grave in the same manner as the great 19th century poet John Keats, taken too young and ahead of his time. Across the tombstone for this completed debate lies no name or date, only quothe the line:

“Here lies one whose name was writ in water.”

Last edited:
My answer to the question posed by OP would be the following:

I pull out a knife, two slices of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jam. I ask you the following:

“With what I have in front of me, I want you to give me instructions to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. All directions will be taken in their simplest and most literal sense. Try not to make a mess.”

We then explore this exercise in which you tell me how to make a sandwich. “Put the peanut butter on the knife” yields me sticking the jar on top of the knife. “Spread the jam on the bread” leads to me dumping all the jam on the bread and spreading it all over.

with this I am judging how they are able to adapt to new situations, provide directions, receive feedback, deal with stress, maintain composure, and make a damn sandwich.

I tried asking this and the wily old Admissions Dean damn near cut my head off. "You don't know that the circumstances were!"

If the Disney character Pluto is a dog, what's Goofy?
Mickey is deeply involved in person trafficking. Pluto is still a dog who at birth had the same mental potential and sentience as Goofy, but after being sold by his mother for drugs into a life of slavery under Mickey - who treated him as a pet instead of person - Pluto never developed language skills or the level of self awareness to understand anything beyond being an animal. It is a tragic story, really and we should all be disgusted my Mickey.

• Love
  • Wow
  • Haha
Mickey is deeply involved in human trafficking. Pluto is still a dog who at birth had the same mental potential and sentience as Goofy, but after being sold by his mother for drugs into a life of slavery under Mickey - who treated him as a pet instead of person - Pluto never developed language skills or the level of self awareness to understand anything beyond being an animal. It is a tragic story, really and we should all be disgusted my Mickey.
I sincerely hope that you didn't say this at your interview

• Haha
  • Dislike
Mickey is deeply involved in person trafficking. Pluto is still a dog who at birth had the same mental potential and sentience as Goofy, but after being sold by his mother for drugs into a life of slavery under Mickey - who treated him as a pet instead of person - Pluto never developed language skills or the level of self awareness to understand anything beyond being an animal. It is a tragic story, really and we should all be disgusted my Mickey.
Rejected for not answering the question!!

• Haha
Rejected for not answering the question!!
I did leave out the implied statement of “Goofy is also a dog, but Pluto has been enslaved.” You are a man of your principals and you want direct unambiguous answers. I like you.

I will respond your rejection email with a sincere thank you for the opportunity to interview with genuine applause for being an ADCOM with character. Bravo, faculty cat. Bravo.

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all are giving pressure interviewers too many good ideas LOL

How much time do you spend on SDN?

Sandwich - two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between

I believe a hotdog fulfills this definition

But you can eat a hotdog without the bun by itself. Would is still be considered a sandwich without the bread?

That is honestly a very good question. Anyone answering zero is auto rejected as a liar.
What if the answer is zero but with a logical clarifier?

“I don’t masturbate whatsoever, but my spouse and I are hardcore into the FreeUse fetish so that keeps my libido in check.”

• Haha
But you can eat a hotdog without the bun by itself. Would is still be considered a sandwich without the bread?
nope. needs the bread/bun

same as eating ham without the bread

Please do

1) "What will I find on your public Tinder / Grindr profile?" :angelic:
2) "Pretend you are on our adcom interviewing the next interviewee, what question would you ask to throw them off their game?" and then ask their question to the next interviewee and repeat. :1devilish:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
What will I find on your public Tinder / Grindr profile? :angelic:
Jokes on you I have my own OnlyFans

If you subscribe for $5 a month I’ll let you see what my lower thigh looks like ;)

• Haha