PreTest Biochem for Biochem Shelf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the PreTest series any good for shelf exams. I'm thinking of studying Lipincott's leading up to the exam and then spending the day before just going through as much of PreTest as I can. Yea?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of PreTest, but any practice questions are good practice questions. You should be more than fine just reading Lippincott's, though. I learned from it during the course and pretty well crushed the biochem shelf despite not doing any additional, dedicated studying for it.

If PreTest is the correct name of the book I am thinking of, it's basically a few hundred practice questions with the answers for each question explained at the back of the section. I figured by the day before I could just run through as many as I can and it will path up the holes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-test is okay, a bunch of questions definitely poorly written. Haven't found any better sources of problems though (except maybe BRS but there are very few questions)

Is the general format of the question pretty consistent with the Shelf? And is it poorly written in terms of grammar and clarity of what they are asking or in regards to the accuracy of the information and the material it teaches?

Is the general format of the question pretty consistent with the Shelf? And is it poorly written in terms of grammar and clarity of what they are asking or in regards to the accuracy of the information and the material it teaches?

PreTest does not have the same general format as the shelf. It's a start but you are better off writing your own questions as your review the material from your course notes or Lippincotts rather than relying on PreTest.

PreTest is good for testing recall and knowledge. I use it for most of my classes because it's free online from our library but it's definitely NOT board quality just to make sure you know your basics.

If you read Lippencott's you should be good for the shelf. I had Pretest and said I was going to use it for practice questions. I was so burnt out from the semester that I ended up doing a few pages, seeing that it wasn't working and played my XBox.

PreTest does not have the same general format as the shelf. It's a start but you are better off writing your own questions as your review the material from your course notes or Lippincotts rather than relying on PreTest.

writing your own questions is definately the best method, but the OP was asking if it was a good thing for the day before, and I'd say yes. The questions aren't top notch by any stretch of the imagination, but you can do the whole book in a day or less, and the information is pretty high yield, even if the questions aren't. Personally, I prefer the questions out of BRS. Good luck!