"Prettiest" and "Ugliest" Pharmacy School/Facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlottefromca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious since most people have finished up their interviews, and have visited most of the schools. Which schools do you guys think are the best looking and which are the worst looking?

Totally superflous perhaps but I think its an interesting topic.

Edit to clarify: I am talking about buildings/interiors/facilities/landscaping.. not the student body, but I guess you can add that in too if you'd like ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Ohio State and UNC were both nice places and that the pharmacy buildings were very nice-more so for UNC.

I didn't like Cincy's building.

western u's facilities used to be a mall.
usn looks like some kind of business building.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oregon State's campus is beautiful and green. I thought USC kinda looked like a prison. But it's hard to complain about the weather there...

Right now WVU looks like hell because of all the construction. The newly finished library looks like the lobby of a Fortune 500 corporation, though. Pimp as hell, I tells ya. In 10 years when it's all done, I'm not sure it will be possible to have a better looking facility - not to mention in the most naturally gorgeous state in the union.

Kentucky is not so great at the moment. We're bursting at the seams due to increased class sizes. The had to take away the men's bathroom on the instructional floor because there were too many lines for the women's. There is nowhere to sit in between classes. We eat lunch on the floor.

In the next two weeks we are breaking ground on a new building, which is supposed to be the largest educational building in Ky or something. It's going to be phat, or so they tell us. Not that I'll ever attend a class there.

Samford University has a very beautiful campus. It is a private Baptist school and is fenced all around. Very calm atmosphere and the surroundings are mountains. All the buildings has an old feel to it but are very modern..I am excited to be going here next year..

I have visited Howard, Midwestern CCP, Temple, Hampton, University of Maryland, Appalachia and Shenandoah.
I think Midwestern, Shenandoah are located in beautiful place and school building itself is very clean and new. Maryland is in good condition, they built new building about a year ago but they are located in baltimore city.
Howard and Temple are ok but the building seems kinda old and surrounding area is kinda dangerous.
The school buildings that I don't like the most are Appalachia and Hampton. Appalachia has a very small lab and library and there is no formal lecture hall in that building. Hampton's overall building seems very old and kinda dirty as well. Also, pharmacy building is very small compare to other schools.

Appalachia has a very small lab and library and there is no formal lecture hall in that building.

:laugh: :laugh: How did I know that UACP would make the list?

western u's facilities used to be a mall.

It used to be a mall? Strange, I had my interview there.. while driving into the parking lot I was VERY suprised at how the exterior of the buliding looked, it looked like a warehouse. The inside is REALLY nice though.

I thought the prettiest campus I've been to is Midwestern-Glendale, very serene and peaceful looking, nice landscaping and the buildings seemed to blend with the desert landscape. Then again I went during a slightly chilly day in winter, I'm not sure if that place would look the same during the hot 120 degree weather summer months. :rolleyes:

I'd imagine (I wouldn't know because I wasn't invited to interview at any) that the large public schools would be the nicest since they have so much funding from the government.

Samford University has a very beautiful campus. It is a private Baptist school and is fenced all around. Very calm atmosphere and the surroundings are mountains. All the buildings has an old feel to it but are very modern..I am excited to be going here next year..

Awww. It kind of makes me bitter that samford has a nice campus, I was wondering about how it looked in Alabama. I have a interview there on March 1rst, but I am going to cancel b/c I don't have enough money to travel and it's too far from home...Buffalo, NY.

I thought the prettiest campus I've been to is Midwestern-Glendale, very serene and peaceful looking, nice landscaping and the buildings seemed to blend with the desert landscape. Then again I went during a slightly chilly day in winter, I'm not sure if that place would look the same during the hot 120 degree weather summer months. :rolleyes:

The devil has to convince you to go to hell by making it look pretty. :smuggrin:

Pacific U has an extremely new building (very nice). Each program has its own floor - and the lecture rooms are built around how the course is structured. The group breakout rooms are connected directly to the main lecture hall, which is also outfitted with power for everyone's laptops. Overall - for teaching, its ideal. The lab situation was not so impressive (not all complete) - and there is nothing to be said for the surrounding area - its a bit dull to tell the truth. For facility it gets top marks - but everything else outside of the building leaves a lot to be desired...

Its a world away from UF - but maybe that's why I like it so much.

~above~

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought Samford was really pretty too! I loved the front lobby of the pharmacy school building. I really hope I get in :)

I think the least interesting one I went to was South. Everything on the inside was brand new, but the "campus" if you can even call it that looked like a few office buildings thrown together.

I’ve been to so many colleges in the NE but the only ones that had Schools of Pharmacy were URI, Uconn, MCP-Worcester, and Northeastern. I’ve also been to UGA. It’s hard to say which campus is best, they all offer something different and everyone’s opinion will be different as well. I’d say the best on-campus life (social scene) would be UGA…go there some Saturday before a football game and the entire campus is a huge party…great college town too.

The best off-campus scene would be a toss-up between URI and Northeastern. Northeastern for the simple fact that it’s in Boston, which is a cool city on its own, not to mention it's the most college populated city in the nation. URI is by the beach and that’s a perk in itself, lots of students live “down the line” and have their own houses within walking distance to the beach b/c they’re all summer homes.

The best facilities are at MCP-Worcester, labs and classrooms are new and very modern along with the apartments they recently added. They also bought more property on the same block so it would appear they will eventually build more new facilities.

I don't like U of Utah, although the school is one of the best but the building is very old and ugly :thumbdown:

Oregon State's campus is beautiful and green. I thought USC kinda looked like a prison. But it's hard to complain about the weather there...

Did you see any of the classes in USC? The only class I saw was the place we took our essay in, kind of confused because its a pretty big building, yet they didn't give us any tour so I couldn't check out any of the facilities. The school looks nice though from the outside, the area around there is not safe though...

Pacific U has an extremely new building (very nice). Each program has its own floor - and the lecture rooms are built around how the course is structured. The group breakout rooms are connected directly to the main lecture hall, which is also outfitted with power for everyone's laptops. Overall - for teaching, its ideal. The lab situation was not so impressive (not all complete) - and there is nothing to be said for the surrounding area - its a bit dull to tell the truth. For facility it gets top marks - but everything else outside of the building leaves a lot to be desired...

~above~

Hey, what's wrong with UF's campus!! hmmm...

My bad Gator... I should have put in - Gainesville is beautiful and huge... whereas Pacific is not nearly as green/ beautiful, but also extremely tiny (like one building).

HAAHAH - I dont think the students at Pacific know what big is - take the march from Shands hospital up to the new classroom building on the north side of university drive - its like 25 minutes if you speed walk it...

But you have gotta love that class size - going from 2500 students in my stats class to 85 classmates permanently... VERY NICE!!! GREAT SUCCESS!!!

~above~

I just know I'll get killed for this, but since we're sort of on campus impressions...........I gotta tell ya. I've been to 5 interviews so far and...the talent, mmmm.............very weak. I'm a guy so I just naturally take notice of these things. I'm no male super model, but what do you guys think? I won't say which schools I'm talking about because that's just asking for an execution. Please share your impressions. Looking at some of the class pictures, ay yay yay.........:confused:

Not that it matters too much.. (sorry I just felt like I had to say that)..

But I thought there was a good number of attractive interviewees with XX chromosomes at Western's Jan 27th interview.

I volunteer at the Medical Center which has the CoP for Arizona. They got new buildings and everything so the UMC/Health Sciences schools look really nice. The main campus however....is debatable.

Colorado's current SOP building isn't too bad. The campus itself has some ugliness (but medical centers aren't generally known for beauty). The new campus we're supposed to move to next year is a beautiful oasis of modern buildings in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. No restaurants, shops, housing or off-street parking (that I'd dare use, anyway). I'm told I should be grateful for the privilege of an additional 30 minutes to get to it. :confused:

Been too Pacific University and Midwestern CPG, and I live near Temple and University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. I think Midwestern CPG looked really nice and it was actually a campus. I dont even think you can consider Pacific U to be a campus just because its one building with four floors. CPG has really nice classes with theatre seating and it is somewhat close to downtown phoenix so that is a PLUS.

MWU-Chicago! We keep knocking down any building that is older than 20yrs old and buidling at new one. Everything has a very new feeling to it. Campus is beautiful in the Fall with all the trees changing colors.

I think Samford is the prettiest one. Green, beautiful, fenced, quiet. I think they changed everything after gettting a check of 10 million from R. McWhorter. You can feel the sense of university environment right from its gate. It is private and profs are kinda bossy lol. thats what i heard of. But the school has great reputation. You will not be allowed to wear shoes showing off your toes (LOL). and no alcoholic drinks in any party inside the school. kinda conservatives. But who cares??? as long as you could make it to Samford. Good luck to you Vanstudent1986, you will have wonderful experience in Samford.

I agree that Midwestern CPG has a beautiful campus. It's very tiny, though. Phoenix itself is not so pretty, but the closer you get to campus the nicer it seems to get.
I'm a little neutral on the 'beauty' of U of Minnesota. . .I'd call it fair-to-the-middlin'.
U of Washington has a very nice campus -- but the health sciences complex [which contains the pharmacy dept] is notoriously ugly. It's boxy, old, stifling. . .but still my number 1 choice :D

~above~

Just that you know, the lab is complete and functional now and we are actually starting our pharmaceutics lab next week.

Anymore posts? I guess most pharmacy schools aren't that attractive? :confused:

And pharm47.. what didn't you like about USC?

Does anyone know how the facilities at UCSF and UCSD rank?

Anymore posts? I guess most pharmacy schools aren't that attractive? :confused:

And pharm47.. what didn't you like about USC?

Does anyone know how the facilities at UCSF and UCSD rank?
UCSD has a beautful brand-new pharmacy school building that just opened...gorgeous.

as a current student... Texas Tech's building is pretty dull, like a big shoe box with a red stripe on it

the new building in abilene is supposed to look pretty nice though

when I went for my interview I really liked PBA's facilities

I like Mercer's campus. The library is beautiful. Overall, though, the school is tiny. That's good and bad I suppose. My current school is a state university and it takes like 20 minutes to walk from one side of the campus to the next.

Been to Midwestern CCP, Pacific University, Touro University, Loma Linda, and viewed Midwestern CPG online tour. :)

My top choices by far is Midwestern CCP. KARM is right because they keep tearing down the older buildings for newer ones. The library was huge, the classes and lecture halls were really clean and updated, and the labs were pretty clean. The dining hall seems like a true college dining room but heard the food sucks anyways. :)

From what I could see, CPG's campus is very similar in building structure and designs. It's a matter of whether you want blizzard winters or scorching summers. (Chicago vs Glendale).

Pacific University is literally a building. I heard its main campus is really nice but that is a 20 min drive so we'll never see it. Everything is brand spanking new and even has 42" plamsa flat panels tv's in every group room. The whole building has a homey feel to it.

Loma Linda is another nice campus but it's a bit older. You have tall huge buildings from the hospital and medical school. Yet the school of pharmacy is literally a basement (you walk down a flight of stairs to a BASEMENT!). You stay in one classroom all day and rotate between years. Didn't see the labs though.

Touro U is just pitiful. Mare Island is a mosquito infested swamp and the roads around the campus are dirt roads. To get to campus from the freeway, the directions I got from the admissions office were something like "On X street, go all the way down until you see the church, then make a left until the 2nd stop sign and make a right at the blue house." The buildings are new and inside is very high tech so I guess the school itself isn't so bad.

another vote for CCP. i've been to UMD and Midwestern CCP.

Midwestern CCP is a very nice place.

I guess it's all about Midwestern here. I wish we had a poll though.

I've been to UI, CPG, and CCP for my brother's graduation.

CPG is the most beautiful :faint:
it was 90 degree weather, but it felt like 80 because there was no humidity. In Chicago, when it's 90 you are melting, but in AZ it felt like a beautiful spring day.

The tuition is really ugly though. :(

CPG is the most beautiful :faint:
it was 90 degree weather, but it felt like 80 because there was no humidity. In Chicago, when it's 90 you are melting, but in AZ it felt like a beautiful spring day.

:laugh: But when it's 115, it feels like 115 whether there's humidity or not. I prayed daily for overcast because the sun was just too frightening. I don't do well with hot weather. Colorado is barely tolerable in the summer. I'll take the Pacific NW any day.

Speaking of the NW - UW's campus is beautiful and the view from the SOP's part of the medical building was stunning. The school itself is functional, but kind of old and very confusing. I was lost 10 seconds into the tour. :laugh:

UCSD: Very new and nice campus, the building smells fresh. But, when I interviewed, the weather was ugly which I didnt expect from Cali weather.

LECOM-Bradenton: Very new and nice campus. Kinda plain because of its newness, but I like it. The labs (for both D.O. and Pharm D.) are extremely nice. Only thing, the campus is in undeveloped area. You have to drive more outland toward the ocean to get to the developed area. But, I saw a lot of construction going on when I was at the campus which is a good thing.

Interviewed at Michigan and Wayne State. Campus wise, its no comparison. Michigan has one of the best campuses in the country, if not the best.

Building wise, no comparison. Wayne State's pharmacy building/facilities blows Michigan's away. Michigan's building seems kinda old, crowded, and claustrophobic (sp). Wayne's building is brand new, big, and very modern. It's also in the middle of a huge medical campus, right next to a huge academic hospital (albeit not a very pretty surrounding: Downtown Detroit).

I don't like U of Utah, although the school is one of the best but the building is very old and ugly :thumbdown:

The building may be old, but you can never beat the mountains of Utah!!! They are amazing all year round. To be able to see the mountains is worth an old building.

I liked UNC a lot. They have great facilities.

UF looked great also... although there is some construction going on around the pharmacy building.

I was definitely not impressed by Nova.

Auburn's campus (in the spring time, especially) is beautiful and the new SOP ain't too shabby either... of course, I might be a little biased ;)