Pretty powerful pre-med paranoia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoktor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi forum! I am hoping to find someone that could help me on the troubles I am getting as I work on my pre-med track...

I only recently started college after about a year and a half of being out of school. I am majoring in Chem, and started with Gen Chem 1. In high school, my grades were a little bit below average on all but Chemistry, my best class. I passed HS Chem with an 85, the highest in my class. However... being gone for so long has made me lose my edge... I flopped here and there at the beginning of Gen Chem 1, but eventually found some balance. I am now one of the top students in my class, probably the top student in my class, next to my friend.

However... I've been belly-flopping everywhere. This week, I did moderately mediocre because I got a persistent cold which didn't let me study. I somehow felt burnt out after the cold, which took another day of studying. I missed my prelab for the week, and had to copy from someone (which I didn't finish entirely, which my professor kicked me out for due to it being lab-day).

Suddenly, I don't feel like a top student. Suddenly, my aim seems so far off. Worst of all, I am only taking this one class, and yet I am losing balance every time. AND to top it all off! I am gunslinging at Johns Hopkins and NYU for future med schools (among others)! (don't ask, it's a personal goal)

I am able to manage this class.. I am learning things at a pretty quick pace. I am finding ways to perfect my work every now and then (though I kind of try to do it more often than every now and then). But... I don't know what to think. Seeing how much trouble I am going through for this one class, it kind of... seems like a ridiculous fantasy.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi forum! I am hoping to find someone that could help me on the troubles I am getting as I work on my pre-med track...

I only recently started college after about a year and a half of being out of school. I am majoring in Chem, and started with Gen Chem 1. In high school, my grades were a little bit below average on all but Chemistry, my best class. I passed HS Chem with an 85, the highest in my class. However... being gone for so long has made me lose my edge... I flopped here and there at the beginning of Gen Chem 1, but eventually found some balance. I am now one of the top students in my class, probably the top student in my class, next to my friend.

However... I've been belly-flopping everywhere. This week, I did moderately mediocre because I got a persistent cold which didn't let me study. I somehow felt burnt out after the cold, which took another day of studying. I missed my prelab for the week, and had to copy from someone (which I didn't finish entirely, which my professor kicked me out for due to it being lab-day).

Suddenly, I don't feel like a top student. Suddenly, my aim seems so far off. Worst of all, I am only taking this one class, and yet I am losing balance every time. AND to top it all off! I am gunslinging at Johns Hopkins and NYU for future med schools (among others)! (don't ask, it's a personal goal)

I am able to manage this class.. I am learning things at a pretty quick pace. I am finding ways to perfect my work every now and then (though I kind of try to do it more often than every now and then). But... I don't know what to think. Seeing how much trouble I am going through for this one class, it kind of... seems like a ridiculous fantasy.

Seeing no question, I assume you want us to be your own personal cheerleaders. ;);)

Jokes aside, you'll make it through. JH's and NYU might take a lot of additional luck as well, but you'll be just fine. Learn to enjoy life, as it does not center around only your premed life.

Seeing no question, I assume you want us to be your own personal cheerleaders. ;);)

Jokes aside, you'll make it through. JH's and NYU might take a lot of additional luck as well, but you'll be just fine. Learn to enjoy life, as it does not center around only your premed life.

Correct! :D I did want you guys to be my personal cheerleaders! :laugh: So get your pompoms and get to doing a routine :soexcited: !!! :rolleyes:

(see? I can enjoy life!)

I'd have to say I'm more or less fresh out of luck though. I'd start throwing salts around, but my professor may get upset and mistake it as an assault on my fellow classmates. :D I am just nervous because I have been lurking in the forum for a little while. Googling stuff here and there... And the more I read, the more I get nervous... I know this is only my first class but... who's to say?...

I don't exactly have a question to ask... I just want some reassurance. I don't know the field as well as some of you, and feel it could be well out of reach for someone who is somewhat struggling in a basic class such as Gen Chem 1!!! :scared: I study as much as I do because I'm nervous I will fail (a more aggressive nervousness than passive)... and even then! I don't study as much as I should... I feel I should be studying far more. Not that that's what I'm hoping you guys to address because obviously it's up to me and I can definitely get a handle on that, sort of... I am just looking for reassurance of what chances look like for someone in my position. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Man you need to just let it go and live a little. Enjoy the present moment and don't study out of fear. It's a terrible way to live. Do your best and use all of the resources you have but quit fussing about it. Being worried all the time will not help you achieve any of your objectives and will only make things worse.

Correct! :D I did want you guys to be my personal cheerleaders! :laugh: So get your pompoms and get to doing a routine :soexcited: !!! :rolleyes:

(see? I can enjoy life!)

I'd have to say I'm more or less fresh out of luck though. I'd start throwing salts around, but my professor may get upset and mistake it as an assault on my fellow classmates. :D I am just nervous because I have been lurking in the forum for a little while. Googling stuff here and there... And the more I read, the more I get nervous... I know this is only my first class but... who's to say?...

I don't exactly have a question to ask... I just want some reassurance. I don't know the field as well as some of you, and feel it could be well out of reach for someone who is somewhat struggling in a basic class such as Gen Chem 1!!! :scared: I study as much as I do because I'm nervous I will fail (a more aggressive nervousness than passive)... and even then! I don't study as much as I should... I feel I should be studying far more. Not that that's what I'm hoping you guys to address because obviously it's up to me and I can definitely get a handle on that, sort of... I am just looking for reassurance of what chances look like for someone in my position. :(

You need to find the right mindset for yourself. Mine is to be confident in my abilities but not arrogant that I slip up.

If you need suggestions for different perspectives on how you can tackle college, you can PM me. I have tons of experience with this. ;)

Just stopping by to say that I liked the alliteration in the title. :thumbup:

But if you want me to say you'll get into JHU or NYU, probably not my friend. The goal is first and foremost to get into any medical school.

It's a marathon dude. 4.0 for two terms then burn out 3.0 for 6 terms <<<<<< 3.7-3.8 for all terms. Up to two A-'s a term and you're set.