This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graydock11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I'm about to be a junior in college, I'm planning on getting a double major (Computer Science and Biology) and I'm pretty stressed that I won't be able to get into medical school anymore after the last two years of college.

As of now, I've failed three classes (one class twice, and the a different third one), all of which I have retaken and gotten good grades in. All the other classes I've taken I have gotten decent grades, with a few missteps. I'm not a bad student, it's the fact that the hand I've been dealt over the past couple years in terms of personal issues among other things has been extremely overwhelming. Then again, I know it's immature to assume that others have not gone through worse and made it out on top. It's not to say that I have not gotten decent grades in the last two years, I've gotten my fair share of A's, but my GPA is definitely not stellar, probably less than mediocre. And right now, I'm working doubling down, studying harder, and fixing everything that I possible can to continue my streak of A's. So my question is: do you guys think it's even remotely possible to get into medical school based on my track record over the past couple of years?

My extracurricular track record is above average, and I hope to get a good score on MCAT, obviously. And, as a side note, I am also working on trying to get one of those failed classes out of my transcript, because like I said, a lot of my situation was out of my control. Is there any way I can prove to an adcom that this is not my normal, and I'm a much hard worker than I have shown so far?

But, assuming the worst, do you guys think I have a chance? If I can pull my GPA up to a 3.6 or a 3.7, or am I actually just dreaming?

Thanks for your input :)

Why are you taking on such a challenging second major? CS is very time consuming and demanding.

There are multiple things going on here that would make me concerned as an adcomm member (though you're being very vague here so it may or may not apply to you):
1a. You are double majoring even though you have failed multiple classes. Would make me concerned you don't know when you've bitten off more than you could chew.
1b. Your ec track record is above average yet you have failed classes. I am concerned about your prioritization of necessary work over ECs.
2. Are the adverse circumstances now controlled in a way that they won't resurface in the future? How open can you be about what these events were?
3. You won't specifically say your GPA- there's a long way to go from "probably less than mediocre" to a 3.6-3.7. If you can have two years of 3.8-4.0 grades then I'm less concerned but it is easy to say and hard to do.

i by no means think you can't get into medical school. I do think just saying "I'm going to work harder" is a good way to create more of those adverse life events such as burnout, depression, and ruined interpersonal relationships.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are multiple things going on here that would make me concerned as an adcomm member (though you're being very vague here so it may or may not apply to you):
1a. You are double majoring even though you have failed multiple classes. Would make me concerned you don't know when you've bitten off more than you could chew.
1b. Your ec track record is above average yet you have failed classes. I am concerned about your prioritization of necessary work over ECs.
2. Are the adverse circumstances now controlled in a way that they won't resurface in the future? How open can you be about what these events were?
3. You won't specifically say your GPA- there's a long way to go from "probably less than mediocre" to a 3.6-3.7. If you can have two years of 3.8-4.0 grades then I'm less concerned but it is easy to say and hard to do.

i by no means think you can't get into medical school. I do think just saying "I'm going to work harder" is a good way to create more of those adverse life events such as burnout, depression, and ruined interpersonal relationships.

I totally agree. Just saying I'm going to work harder will not lead to better results.

You're already taking on too much.

You have two years left so you still have some time to turn this around. I suppose it's only a year if you're considering applying at the end of this school year, but still that leaves you with a full academic year to show you can do better. The only way to prove to adcoms that you're more than capable of the grades you've earned in the last two years is to do better and continue the upward trend.

Drop one of your majors. Nobody cares about a double major or major + minor.

I wouldn't bank on your school getting rid of one of the failed classes. Just learn from the mistake and move on.