Preventive Medicine, DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoneyBee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask a quick question....
What is the deal with preventive medicine? Can a DO do it? What are the hours like during and after residency?
Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

DrHoneyBee said:
I just wanted to ask a quick question....
What is the deal with preventive medicine? Can a DO do it? What are the hours like during and after residency?
Thanks for your help!!!

DO's and MD's do the exact same jobs.

Gimme a T..............T!
Gimme an R............R!
Gimme an O............O!
Gimme an L.............L!
Gimme another L......L!

What's that spell? Can a DO spell?

Members don't see this ad :)
mj1878 said:
Gimme an R............R!
Gimme an O............O!
Gimme another L......L!

dude it sounded like an innocent question from a relatively new member.....relax....

OP: There are DO's in every type of residency. You should check out the residency forums at the bottom of the main page for more specific info on preventative medicine or do a search from the button at the top of the forums.

Please refrain from attacking other members, if you suspect a troll please report the post by clicking the report bad post button.

mj1878 said:
Gimme an R............R!
Gimme an O............O!
Gimme another L......L!

What the heck?! I have been posting a lot of questions about DO's lately because I am trying to understand my options. If anyone has any real answer to this question (such as hours etc) that would be appreciated.

Taus said:
dude it sounded like an innocent question from a relatively new member.....relax....

OP: There are DO's in every type of residency. You should check out the residency forums at the bottom of the main page for more specific info on preventative medicine or do a search from the button at the top of the forums.

Thank you.

DrHoneyBee said:
What the heck?! I have been posting a lot of questions about DO's lately because I am trying to understand my options. If anyone has any real answer to this question (such as hours etc) that would be appreciated.

Okay, I will put my googling skills to work. Google is a web searching engine and can be accessed using: www.google.com To use google, merely type in a phrase or words that are of interest to you. In this case, I used the phrase, "preventive medicine".

DrHoneyBee said:
What is the deal with preventive medicine?

Physicians who are board certified in Preventive Medicine hold a variety of positions from chief medical officers of private corporations, to directors of state/local health departments, to policy makers within governmental organizations, to program developers for multi-national NGOs, to many other positions. Career paths include managed care, public health, occupational medicine, aerospace medicine, clinical medicine, informatics, policy development, academic medicine, international medicine, and research. These positions are located in all levels of government, educational institutions, organized medical care programs in industry, as well as voluntary health agencies and professional health organizations. Preventive Medicine physicians operate in a variety of settings, but common to these settings is an approach to health that looks at systemic and population-based interventions to improve the health of individuals.

DrHoneyBee said:
Can a DO do it?

This was previously answered, but I will include the answers here for completeness.

OSUdoc08 said:
DO's and MD's do the exact same jobs.
Taus said:
There are DO's in every type of residency. You should check out the residency forums at the bottom of the main page for more specific info on preventative medicine or do a search from the button at the top of the forums.

DrHoneyBee said:
What are the hours like during and after residency?

Since physicians in Preventive Medicine can hold positions in a large variety of fields the number of hours will vary greatly. You can learn more about the training involved by clicking on one of these links. (I used google and the search terms, preventive medicine, again to find these.)

http://www.acpm.org/medstudents.htm

http://www.aobpm.org/

Hope this helps somewhat.

You could also try searching for specific programs using this link.

There is information about 2 AOA residencies. For instance, the NSUCOM/Palm Beach County Health Department - Preventive Med-Public Health Residency expects 40 hrs/week of training. There is a lot more info out there if you look.