MD Preventive medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randombanana

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm interested in PM but don't understand much about the training. My understanding is that you need a transitional (PGY1) year before the 2 years of PM residency, which I believe is a similar prerequisite for other fields like radiology and ophthalmology. If this is correct, how exactly does applying to residency work? Do you apply specifically for a transitional year during MS4 and then apply for PM during PGY1? Or can you apply for PM during MS4? I guess I don't understand residency at all.

Can anyone speak to the competitiveness of the field? All I hear is "it's not competitive," but I haven't really seen numbers tied to it.

Members don't see this ad.

You apply through ERAS during MS4. Basically you apply to a prelim/transitional year (PGY1) and apply for your PM PGY2-3 slot separately and simultaneously.

There’s very few PM programs - I think ~40 participating this year with a couple residents each, so you’re gonna have a rough time getting any sort of idea for competition due to the small pool.

But if I was going to make an educated guess I’d think it’d probably be similar to family med as there’s a lot of overlap between the two.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds a lot like family medicine or general internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may have heard it already, but there was a preventive medicine doc recently interviewed on the Undifferentiated Medical Student podcast. I believe she was a residency PD. They discuss questions like this and the guests usually offer their email address if listeners have any questions.

I had a further question adding to this: as an IMG I was wondering if you would have to do more than PGY1 to apply for the PM residency? The only reason I wonder this is because to get medical licensure IMG's usually have to do 3 years minimum and US students are 1 year. Just curious