Other Preventive Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDRT

Reaction score
Hello forum members, ,Can anyone shed some light on preventive medicine residency . I want to understand how are the Jobpportunities after preventive medicine residency. Can we practice clinical medicine later

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I may be able to help you. Please DM me with a few specific questions. I will try to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's odd - I did not receive your message. I received messages from other people and responded to them. Try writing again with a few questions (or copying and pasting what you already sent if that is available for you).

Thank for responding here. I did DM you again . Plaese check if you recieved it . Thank you :) @health focus

Cool - responded!

To anyone else who has questions about PM -- feel free to reach out with specific questions.
I know it's incredibly challenging to learn anything about the field from outside of it.
Normally, I will respond within 3 days. If I do not respond in 1 week, write again.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello i am also interested and have completed one year of medicine I work for the Florida department of health in a public health lab, I hope to continue my training and education in preventive medicine and public health. Sent my ERAS application to several programs this year with really no response, thank
You

Reactions: 1 user
@Doctorjpc - I may be able to help you. Please DM me with a few specific questions. I will try to point you in the right direction.

I am also interested in learning more about preventive medicine programs. There seem to be several programs: https://www.acpm.org/getmedia/19844...9fa2098/pmrresidencydirectorynov2020.pdf.aspx. Before applying, some of them require only 1 year of medical residency, others seem to require 2 years of residency. While other programs seem to want you to be BE/BC (practicing) physicians before applying. Is there somewhere that might be able to help those who are interested understand the different options?

@sdn can we create a forum for preventive medicine residency programs???

Reactions: 2 users
If you are interested in going into a Preventive Medicine Residency can you apply to programs as an MS4 or do you have to wait until your intern year? If you have to wait until your intern year to apply, do you only apply to transitional and pre-lim programs? Or can you apply to other residencies (aka Family Medicine, Pediatrics, IM) and then just apply to a Preventive Medicine Residency during the intern year of those programs? (Wouldn't that create a loss of a PGY2 for the residency program, if they had a resident leave after intern year?)

There are combined programs, like IM-PM residency programs, and there are categorical programs that one can get into after finishing a preliminary year. Some complete a full residency in a primary care specialty before doing a PM residency. I did a FM residency and then did a 2 year PM residency. If you plan to just work in PM/Public health, then a PM residency will prepare you well for the job. But if you plan to see patients as a primary care physician, I strongly recommend doing either a combined IM-PM or FM-PM program, or complete a IM or FM residency before doing a PM residency. While there is some clinical training in a PM residency, it is definitely not as in depth as a dedicated IM or FM residency.

There are combined programs, like IM-PM residency programs, and there are categorical programs that one can get into after finishing a preliminary year. Some complete a full residency in a primary care specialty before doing a PM residency. I did a FM residency and then did a 2 year PM residency. If you plan to just work in PM/Public health, then a PM residency will prepare you well for the job. But if you plan to see patients as a primary care physician, I strongly recommend doing either a combined IM-PM or FM-PM program, or complete a IM or FM residency before doing a PM residency. While there is some clinical training in a PM residency, it is definitely not as in depth as a dedicated IM or FM residency.
How do you use your PM residency/fellowship today? Where did you go? What did your co-fellows/residents end up doing after completion of the program?

I am very glad I did a 2 year preventive medicine residency (in my case, fellowship) after family medicine. I work as a public health physician - medical director at a State Department of Health in health care policy. I also do part-time clinical practice as an urgent care physician (I have been practicing urgent care medicine for many years, even before going into public health).

-My fellow preventive medicine residents, who did an IM or FM residency before PM residency:
--Continued to practice full-time IM or FM, with a focus on clinical preventive medicine
or
--Shifted their clinical practice to the public sector (like working for the county or the state)
or
--Became medical directors in their clinical practices (those who focused their MPH on health administration, after a couple of years in clinical practice )
or
--Became medical directors for insurance companies (after a couple of years in clinical practice)
or
--Went into academic medicine and research
or
--Did additional training in occupational medicine, and practicing occupational medicine full-time.
or
--Went to work for public health federal agencies (for example, CDC...)

-My fellow preventive medicine residents, who only did PM residency:
--Went into academic medicine and research
or
--Became public health physicians for county or state health departments (administrative, non-clinical)
or
--Opened-up their own business in "wellness medicine"
or
--Did additional training in another specialty
or
--Became medical directors for non-profit organizations or advocacy groups (administrative, non-clinical)
or
--Went to work for public health federal agencies (for example, CDC...)
or
--Went to work for consultation companies

PM residency is not like the "typical" medical residency programs (like FM, IM, EM, General Surgery, etc.,) that train residents for a predictable specific clinical career with a specific set of knowledge base and skills, PM residency training gives an individual the very basic tools to prepare for a career in public health and preventive medicine. It is up to the individual to decide how they want to use their preventive medicine training to shape their desired career. This often depends on the individual's prior educational background, medical and non-medical knowledge base, skills, strengths, and personality. I know of a fellow resident, with a very strong business background prior to PM residency, who is now working for a high-end stocks trading firm making close to a million dollars per year as a "medical consultant" (this is not the norm, but shows the wide variety of career paths that one can take after PM residency).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I read online that some preventive medicine residencies/fellowships asked for the resident/fellow to come with their own funding because the program did not have funding for them. Does this still happen or only in the past?

• Wow