Preventive Medicine Residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainbow11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested it/doing a preventive medicine residency?? I just found out about this option and thought it was interesting seeing as how I was interested in public health. It seems like a good alternative to clinical practice if I find it doesnt suit me.

So, if anyone is doing it...did you do it straight after med school or do a separate residency first?

(ps: shouldnt there be a separate forum for this if its an accredited residency?)

Members don't see this ad.

you'll find there's some discussion of preventive medicine residency programs on the MPH forum. i'm currently completing an MPH at hopkins before starting residency. the preventive medicine residency program here requires you to have completed one year of residency already (pre-lim or categorical or anything) before starting here. many current residents knew they wanted to do preventive medicine, so just did one year of medicine. others only discovered preventive medicine as a residency after completing family or ob/gyn etc and practicing for a while. basically the residency here consists of getting your MPH the first year (courework at hopkins) and doing a year of seriously cool rotations during the second year (working for different org locally, nationally or abroad; doing clinical rotations focused on preventive care delivery, etc). definitely check out your options. www.jhsph.edu then follow the links.

you'll find there's some discussion of preventive medicine residency programs on the MPH forum. i'm currently completing an MPH at hopkins before starting residency. the preventive medicine residency program here requires you to have completed one year of residency already (pre-lim or categorical or anything) before starting here. many current residents knew they wanted to do preventive medicine, so just did one year of medicine. others only discovered preventive medicine as a residency after completing family or ob/gyn etc and practicing for a while. basically the residency here consists of getting your MPH the first year (courework at hopkins) and doing a year of seriously cool rotations during the second year (working for different org locally, nationally or abroad; doing clinical rotations focused on preventive care delivery, etc). definitely check out your options. www.jhsph.edu then follow the links.

Hi guys. I'm sorry to inteject here. But I'm very much interested in that field as well b/c of my prior background in healthcare. But from what I hear the income potential is quite limited (though I don't know for sure). Anyone has any comment/advise on that. Also, what clinical area is used for public / preventive health? I suppose it's FP or IM? Some ppl advise me against it. They say that I don't have to be an MD/DO todo that. I've been an RN for over 16 yrs, and a licensed acupuncturist in private practice (partnership). Most suggest I get FNP for that and don't bother with med school. But I do want to be a physician, not advanced practice nurse. But I'm not realy interested in much of an inpatient care. Just something office/clinic based.

Thanks

Rainbow -

A lot has been posted on the MPH forums about Prev Med. I'm a 1st year Prev Med resident at UNC, so I"m in the middle of the MPH year. Some of our "residents" have already finished residency and are in a fellowship, some went straight from intern year, and a couple were in practice for a while before returning for more training.

Here's the link

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/soclmed/PREVENTIVEMED/PrevMedHomePage.htm

Trix

Rainbow -

A lot has been posted on the MPH forums about Prev Med. I'm a 1st year Prev Med resident at UNC, so I"m in the middle of the MPH year. Some of our "residents" have already finished residency and are in a fellowship, some went straight from intern year, and a couple were in practice for a while before returning for more training.

Here's the link

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/soclmed/PREVENTIVEMED/PrevMedHomePage.htm

Trix

Hey Trixmd!
Thanks for the info, thogh it wasn't directed at me, I'd hope you'll pardon my interjecting here, and some ignorance. Does preventive medicine allows you to practice in a clinical setting i.e FP/IM? It does look like you are rotating through some government facilities, and then do you directly to some Govt job? Also are these programs U.S IMGs friendly?

Thanks

If you're also trained in a clinical specialty (peds, IM, FP, etc) you can practice in a clinical specialty on a regular basis. If you're just trained in Prev Med, you can see so-called Travel Clinic in a hospital setting as a consultant with the ID guys, or if you get double boarded in Occ Med, can see patients in the Occ Med clinic. Preventive Medicine is mostly about population medicine rather than seeing patients on an individual basis.

At UNC, we do rotations in clinical settings, government settings, as well as in industry (like some of the biotech firms in the Triangle). A couple residents have done some international work. After residency, grads have gone on to do different things - staying at UNC, working at local health departments, industry, the federal government, and NGOs.

Not sure about being IMG friendly or unfriendly. There's one dude who went to medical school in Israel, but did an FP residency in the US prior to coming to UNC. The rest of us are US grads.

Hope that helps.

Trix

I received my Master of Science in Public Health in the field of Toxicology and Risk Assessment prior to attending medical school. I was wondering how my situation (regarding that I already received a M(S)PH prior to residency) will affect my plans to go into Preventive Medicine.

I was also considering the ID route following IM residency.

I am still in medical school (3rd year in fact), but I just wanted to see what my options are once I get to the stage of applying to residencies.

Thank you for any advice and/or comments.

I received my Master of Science in Public Health in the field of Toxicology and Risk Assessment prior to attending medical school. I was wondering how my situation (regarding that I already received a M(S)PH prior to residency) will affect my plans to go into Preventive Medicine.

I was also considering the ID route following IM residency.

I am still in medical school (3rd year in fact), but I just wanted to see what my options are once I get to the stage of applying to residencies.

Thank you for any advice and/or comments.
My understanding is that, if you already have an MPH, that most programs will then only require the "third" year (practicum year). You'd still have to do a clinical year (year 1, usually as part of a traditional residency in IM, ped, Family, etc, or a prelim / transitional 1 year residency).