1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Preview AMCAS app/Ugrad classes as a grad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jacksmind, May 2, 2007.

1. jacksmind

Hello,

1) I'm a grad student. If I took undergrad classes here as a graduate student, could I factor these grades into my Ugrad GPA. I'm told you can do this in a post-bac, but could I do this with ugrad classes as a grad student. I'd like to show adcoms some straight As in my prereqs.

2) I want to start filling out my app for next year to see where my deficiencies are. Is there any way to get a copy of this or just start filling this out in advance.

Thanks so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. The following is incorrect, see LifetimeDoc below: Undergrad is undergrad. So yes, undergrad courses taken during grad school count as undergrad. Look at the AMCAS documentation for specific definitions.

2. Wait until tomorrow morning at 9:30 and open up the AMCAS app. You have to get your AMCAS ID to do this, which is a harmless thing to do. I did this last year for the same reasons you want to do it this year, and found it helpful.

4. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here is the worksheet put out by AMCAS. It has most of the questions that the real application has (minus the part where you fill in you classes) and walks you through what you need to put where. If you don't have an AMCAS ID this will probably be easier for you and still show you what is on the application.

5. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Incorrect!

The "A" I received in the undergraduate Anatomy course I took as a transient graduate student counted towards my graduate GPA and not my undergrad GPA.

6. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oops, corrected my post. Thanks for speaking up.

7. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    agreed. if it's being done to fulfill requirements for your graduate degree, it will not count towards ugrad GPA

8. jacksmind

Sorry, I need some clarification.

1) What if the courses I take are prereqs and not grad requirements?

2) So how does a postbac work. Technically, you're no longer a Freshman, Senior, etc. and since the app is broken into college years (freshman through senior), how can you place postbac grades in with your, say, senior year grades. Is it possible to do the same as a grad?

Thanks again!

9. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    were you enrolled at the school as a graduate student when you took those courses?

10. jacksmind

Yes I will be. I'm perplexed at how a postbac can ever help your ugrad gpa if you cant add it to your ugrad grades. Maybe there's a stipulation that says, "If you took courses at a postbac, place them with your senior grades"? But maybe this same stipulation doesn't apply to graduate programs?

Either way, thanks for your help. I'm off to make use of the advice in this thread.

JM

11. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    post bacs are considered additional undergraduate courses that factor into undergrad GPA, but not any specific semester. as far as I know, the rule of post-bac courses is that those courses aren't being used toward any degree.

if you took them after your senior year but the hours don't count at all for your grad classes (you get absolutely no credit for them), it might be considered post-bac