Previous Anxiety prescription & HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nattmelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. 3.44 GPA, 21 AA here.

I'm considering the HPSP with the navy, and I think my academics won't be a problem in getting the scholarship, however, I read online that they don't prefer prescriptions exactly.

I was prescribed anxiety meds 2 years ago due to a random panic attack I had from too much caffeine consumption. I didnt take the meds, just lowered caffeine and moved past it with ease.

Should I even bother applying with that prescription under my belt?

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply and get your medical done. Even if that history is a disqualifier, you may get a waiver.

Be prepared for your prescreen to be sent back from MEPS with a request for more information/note from a doctor.

I know someone who got three medical waivers (had three separate medical disqualifications).

Reactions: 1 user
Apply and get your medical done. Even if that history is a disqualifier, you may get a waiver.

Be prepared for your prescreen to be sent back from MEPS with a request for more information/note from a doctor.

I know someone who got three medical waivers (had three separate medical disqualifications).
Thanks for the encouraging reply... Was this same person applying to the HPSP?

From my experience you may get a waiver....but you will have to be off of that medication for one year before they'll let you do your MEPS physical and be cleared. That means no prescriptions filled for a full year, not just saying you got them filled and never took them. This will mostly likely be the case for something like anxiety medicine, they want to be sure that if you are deployed or sent out in the field without access to your medication that you won't have an attack or be impaired in any way. I was in the same boat but with a different medication. I had kept getting it filled just in case but didn't take it for over 2 years.

They (Army) wouldn't even let me apply for the HPSP, actually told me I'd never get a waiver and to not waste my time. Went to my Navy recruiter, told me no more prescriptions filled for 1 year and a note from my doctor stating I didn't need the medication. Here I am now a D4 getting ready to put in my orders for when I graduate. So it can be done, but it's some hoops and I'm fortunate for my Navy recruiter that he went through those hoops for me, even when he was 4 months from retiring.

Thank you so much for the reply! Very encouraging, I've just spoke with my recruiter and we're gonna see what happens!

Should I be talking to other recruiters as well... Like for the air force?

Thank you so much for the reply! Very encouraging, I've just spoke with my recruiter and we're gonna see what happens!

Yes, if you want to increase your chances of landing a scholarship I would apply to all 3.

I had similar stats as you and did not apply to Air Force because they are highly competitive. I applied to the Navy first and foremost but due to extenuating circumstances I had to apply to the Army as well. Ended up landing both... Go Navy!

Hey guys. 3.44 GPA, 21 AA here.

I'm considering the HPSP with the navy, and I think my academics won't be a problem in getting the scholarship, however, I read online that they don't prefer prescriptions exactly.

I was prescribed anxiety meds 2 years ago due to a random panic attack I had from too much caffeine consumption. I didnt take the meds, just lowered caffeine and moved past it with ease.

Should I even bother applying with that prescription under my belt?

it doesn't hurt to apply. when i applied they were more lenient with waivers, but apparently that has changed? in any case apply first then take the news as it comes