Previous ediiton textbooks--advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Netter's atlas--1st vs. 2nd? I have the 1st--should I bother getting the 2nd?

Why is Netter's better than Grant's?

What do you all think about the Grant dissector/atlas dual pack bargain buy?

Wheater's functional histology--I have 2nd edition--should I get the third (comes with CD-ROM)?

As you might have guessed, I am going to be a first year in the fall.

Thanks!
DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen a Netter's 1st edition, but the 2nd edition has some redrawn plates by a dude named Machado that are pretty neat. Also if you end up using Grant's Dissector for Gross Anatomy, and most med schools do use that particular book, then they have references to Netter's 2nd edition, Grant's, ADAM, Rohen & Yokochi, and others.

Netter's is better than Grant's because Netter tends to be a lot more clear with his drawings. You'll see the relationships a heck of a lot sooner than with Grant's, whose use of color sometimes blends everything together. The one advantage Grant's has over Netter's is there's usually a short blurb about the drawing, and that could substitute for a lot of reading in your favorite anatomy textbook.

I wouldn't recommend getting Grant's.

Wheater's is a waste of a book, but if you need it, I don't think having 2nd or 3rd edition would matter much. Trust me when I say Histo will be the last thing on your mind first-year.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Thanks a lot for the info Tim. What do you think about the idea of getting the Grant's Dissector/Atlas combo (and save a few bucks) and keep Netter's first edition (which has all of the plates of the 2nd edition except for the new ones you mentioned)? I DO need to get Grant's Dissector regardless of which atlas I use. Do you think having both atlases will be overkill? Or do you think it's worth it to get Netter's second edition and just use that?

What did you think of Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy? I have to get a copy, and also Wier and Abrhams--An Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy.

What do you think of the Color Atlas of Histology by Gardner and Hiatt and the Color Textbook of Histology by Gardner and Hiatt? My school says that it requires both... but as for the atlas we can choose between Wheaater and Gardner.

As for biochemistry--Is the Lipincott review book enough in your opinion? I've heard that if I know that cold I will be good for the boards--but as for my course, a large, more boring text is also listed--the Stryer book!

Tim I am also in New York City. Do you, by any chance, have any used textbooks you would be willing to sell me?

Any and all information from Tim and any others would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad :)
Resurrecting this old thread to ask: I just bought Bates' Guide to Physical Exam and History Taking. I noticed that on the reading list at MSUCOM the 6th edition is specified, but I have purchased the 5th edition--does anyone think that will be a problem? Are they radically different?

------------------
Scott
MSUCOM Class of 2004

Originally posted by DocToBe:
Thanks a lot for the info Tim. What do you think about the idea of getting the Grant's Dissector/Atlas combo (and save a few bucks) and keep Netter's first edition (which has all of the plates of the 2nd edition except for the new ones you mentioned)?

Well, we used a first edition netter as a wet copy (kept with the cadaver)... Either way, Netter is REQUIRED in my mind. Grants is awful in comparison. No big dif between 1st and 2nd in my mind.

I DO need to get Grant's Dissector regardless of which atlas I use. Do you think having both atlases will be overkill? Or do you think it's worth it to get Netter's second edition and just use that?

If you're going to have two atlases, get NETTER (by far the best) and get Rohen & Yakochi (sp?) which is a photographic atlas, very very useful. it's a waste to get grants.

What did you think of Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy? I have to get a copy, and also Wier and Abrhams--An Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy.

verbose. essentials of clinical anatomy is a decent book, though. get ridiculously simple! that's a great one (one of the only good ones of the series)

What do you think of the Color Atlas of Histology by Gardner and Hiatt and the Color Textbook of Histology by Gardner and Hiatt? My school says that it requires both... but as for the atlas we can choose between Wheaater and Gardner.

I liked Hiatt better than Wheater. The pics are sharper, and the explanations are stronger.

As for biochemistry--Is the Lipincott review book enough in your opinion? I've heard that if I know that cold I will be good for the boards--but as for my course, a large, more boring text is also listed--the Stryer book!

don't bother with stryer. lippincott is the best buy for this course. wait until the first few weeks of the course to see if anything else is necessary, but i would suspect that nothing else will be.

Originally posted by DocToBe:
Thanks a lot for the info Tim. What do you think about the idea of getting the Grant's Dissector/Atlas combo (and save a few bucks) and keep Netter's first edition (which has all of the plates of the 2nd edition except for the new ones you mentioned)?

Well, we used a first edition netter as a wet copy (kept with the cadaver)... Either way, Netter is REQUIRED in my mind. Grants is awful in comparison. No big dif between 1st and 2nd in my mind.

I DO need to get Grant's Dissector regardless of which atlas I use. Do you think having both atlases will be overkill? Or do you think it's worth it to get Netter's second edition and just use that?

If you're going to have two atlases, get NETTER (by far the best) and get Rohen & Yakochi (sp?) which is a photographic atlas, very very useful. it's a waste to get grants.

verbose. essentials of clinical anatomy is a decent book, though. get ridiculously simple! that's a great one (one of the only good ones of the series)

I liked Hiatt better than Wheater. The pics are sharper, and the explanations are stronger.

don't bother with stryer. lippincott is the best buy for this course. wait until the first few weeks of the course to see if anything else is necessary, but i would suspect that nothing else will be.

What I got and really liked, all current editions:

Streyer's Biochem (mechanisms are more clearly detailed than some other books, though it's not specifically clinically oriented)

Bates (the baby version). My PDX course gave me the rest of what I needed, and this will come in handy for years.

Netter. A MUST.

Moore's anatomy: has a lot of GREAT stuff about specific injury. This and Netter got me through anatomy. I wouldn't bother with a dissection guide, but then again, we had an hour of lecture before lab as well as a faculty-printed guide to what we'd be doing. If your school does not do this, the guide may be useful, but as for the straight anatomy books go, Netter's the man.

To me, the cost of books is NOTHING compared to what med school costs, and I have enough stressors floating around that hunting for material in the old book that was referenced in a new book to be a waste of time and energy (esp. when you realize that the new book has some important stuff the older edition omitted).

Another idea: there's a board review series book, softcover, blue, simply titled "physiology." I can't remember author/publisher. I actually find this book to be of enormous use for a TON of 1st and 2nd year courses -- consider it as well! And think about getting a First Aid For The Boards now -- you can write reminders and notes as you go and save yourself a lot of headache come studying-for-the-boards time.

Thanks for the info. I am currently in a presummer martriculation program and have found what you all have said to be true. I am getting a preview of anatomy, biochem, and histo and although they are by no means full-fledged, at least I'm getting a feel.

I am going to concentrate heavily on histo this summer to see if I can test out of it (that would save a lot of time in the fall).

Thanks again.

DocToBe