Previous pathology experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TLA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those of you who are applying to residency (or are already in residency), I was just wondering how much pathology experience you have (had). I am planning to complete the remainder of my electives in pathology (18 weeks left), but I currently have no experience other than from my basic science pathology classes (very limited). I'm sure that I want to go into path, but I'm pretty nervous about my lack of knowledge. Even Wheater's seems foreign to me at this point. I was actually going to try to read it before beginning my elective in January. Anyone have any advice. It's too late for me to apply to residency this year, but that's probably for the best.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

TLA:

I think that the experiences in pathology are extremely variable prior to applying. 18 wks of pathology electives will certainly give you an idea of what the field is like. I am curious what you will do with your year off if you do not match this year? Or are you going to scramble?

Best of Luck...and don't fret too much!

Mindy

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for responding. I guess I could technically still apply/scrabble, but what would I talk about during interviews with no pathology experience yet. What are the expectations of the program directors for PGY1s? What would you recommend that I start studying to better prepare myself? Is Wheater's a good start? Sorry for all the questions. I guess my anxiety and insecurity have a lot to do with why I'm not applying this year. I suppose I would just work for a year if I don't scrabble or apply outside of the match. Thanks again. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply, Apply, Apply.

Don't worry about experience you will get plenty your first year.

Thanks for encouraging me GreatPumpkin. I'll see what I can do about getting application materials together. What did you read from primarily during the first year? Is there anything I can do now to get a head start? I feel so unprepared! Thanks

Robbins and maybe a normal histology book if you really have time.

Thanks again Rob. Do you think Wheater's is okay for histo? I have the regular and histopath books (also have a Lange color atlas). Yeah, that's definitely plenty of reading material for me right now. :)

Yep that will do fine. Concentrate on breast, gyn, endocrine and gi. These are where most specimens come from normally. Remember to try to just learn the general stuff, don't need to get too detailed yet.

I've gotten all of my application materials together, except I'm still struggling with my personal statement. What do you write about if you don't have any pathology experience? My only exposure to pathology so far was in my basic science courses. Please help. Thanks again everyone for all of your advice and best of luck to those of you who are applying this year.

Don't worry much about your experience in path just talk about other things in your personal statement. Talk about why you are interested in path. Or talk about something completely unrelated. Most people read those statements not to really get an answer to any question they have about you, but more of a way to figure out what they want to talk about during the interview. Don't worry to much about the statement, I my experience it really doesn't make much difference in the whole application process. Except if for some strange reason it is exceptionally bad or good.

Well, I did it...applied to 3 programs today via ERAS. I'm pretty much planning to scramble, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to have applications on file at some of the programs that might have unfilled positions post-match. Thanks again for all of the support and advice GP. I'll keep ya updated.