Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'm a pre-dent. But understand that business management is not a subject that's frequently taught in dental school. Recently I became aware of the dental practice management and consultant industry, specifically Pride Institute.

Have you, as practicing dentists, relied on consultants in to help you figure out how to be a good business owner? Do most dentists use consulting companies? Or can you get buy without it and still do well financially?

Just curious. Because it seems like, at least what Pride offers, is somewhat "fluffy" leadership training courses. But, I'm not a dentist so obviously I don't know if this sort of thing is helpful or not when it comes to running your own practice.

beannaithe

Bionerd
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Phila, PA
Status
Dentist
Business management isn't taught in dental school. I only took a few courses in dental school and I can tell you that none of them were particularly helpful with explaining how to run a dental office. If you're still in undergrad and have an opportunity to take a management course, it'll probably be more beneficial.

Some dentists do use consultants. A few of the offices where I've associated have used them. But they are notoriously expensive (thousands of dollars) and you really never know what type of advice you're really going to be getting. What you're paying for with a consultant is their advice and experience. But it may not be the best thing for you.

I worked in an office where the owner used a consultant to help increase his new patient flow. The consultant recommended the free exam/xrays and Groupon. It worked great, he had a surge of new patients and was pulling in almost 100 a month. The problem was that the people who came through were the ones who followed the coupons around the area, tried to get a discount for dental work, or got a copy of their xrays for their regular dentist. So yes, they got exactly what they were promised (NEW PATIENTS!!!!!!), but they didn't exactly get the return on their investment where they actually increased their bottom line. The office broke even.

Be careful with consultants. There's a lot of money in dentistry. Sadly, there's a lot of people out there ready and willing to take it from you.

Where to start for a predent would be a management class, start reading some books on how to relate to people (psych ones are helpful too, haha), read some practice management forums on dentaltown, and when you actually graduate, work in several different offices to see what works and doesn't.