10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2006
BC, Canada
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am a Canadian and I want to apply to some US medical schools for the 2009 matriculation.

It seems to be quite important to get in the primary application as soon as possible, so I would like to get everything ready for the first week it is availabe. The thing is that I have never done this before and have no idea what is required for the primary application.

My main question is what should I have ready for the AMCAS opening day for the primary applications? Personal statement? List of ECs? School info? How much detail? Do they have a standardized form that I fill out? Is any of the information they ask for particularly annoying or troublesome to get last minute? Transcripts en route?

I haven't yet written the MCAT (July 18th is my day) but I heard I could still submit a primary application. Is this true? Do all schools consider primaries without an MCAT?

Any insights would greatly help. Thanks a lot.

mc4435

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
All your questions can be answered at www.amcas.org

You can start filling out the application well before the first date you are allowed to submit the primary application. If the application is available (not sure on this one), you could even start filling it out now. You don't have to do it all in one sitting, you can start and come back later and finish.

You can submit a primary without the MCAT but I'm not sure if schools will consider your application until they recieve your MCAT scores...the info should be on the website I gave you though.

OP
Deanis

Deanis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2006
BC, Canada
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I began it today!

Am I supposed to include courses I withdrew from and got a W?

LovelyMD

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I began it today!

Am I supposed to include courses I withdrew from and got a W?
Be careful-- the AMCAS application that is available right now is the one for the current cycle (people entering med school this fall), NOT the one for the next cycle. According to the AMCAS website, the application for 2009 will be available "on or about May 14, 2008." However, the questions will probably be almost exactly the same, so it's worthwhile to take a look at what it asks.

You must include all courses that are listed on your transcript. If the courses in which you received a W are listed on your transcript, you definitely must list them.