Primary Care IM Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koali27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could comment on primary care track residencies in terms of:
- which residency programs offer the best outpatient/PC training?
- what are the most important things to look for in a residency if planning to go into IM PC?
- how important is the reputation of your residency program if you are planning to do PC or an outpatient-based fellowship (rheum/sports/endo)?
- if you are interested in working as an academic PC after residency is it impossible to do after a community residency program?
- if you are interested in doing research in PC after residency is it impossible to do after a community residency program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think there was a program in Southern California that had a primary care track that I was impressed with, but it was new back then.

There are also a few in Boston, IIRC.

There are several all over the place.

There are different strategies for trying to get you more continuity of care. One place I know of, had "preceptors" where you would essentially work with the exact same IM PC attending in clinic for your entire residency. This was a community program with the clinic attached to the hospital, and the attending clinic was ran alongside the residents, all of this improved continuity and created more time for education. Many places are moving to a 1 + x style schedule to make it easier for your patients to see you back (continuity. The idea is that the typical 1/2 day per week and then none on some months leaves something to be desired). Other programs in creating the track, have bee

Back when I was looking at these things, a few programs actually had ACGME and ABIM approval to have a radical schedule that allowed them to actually sub some of the typically required rotations with more clinic time.

I would start by looking at what programs have a primary care track, and then what that program claims to do tailored to that. Some places, it's not much beyond assign you a mentor and wave their hands. Other places, as I mentioned, eliminated all overnights and stripped down inpt rotations to give you max clinic time.

Not sure what's best. I think if you look online and you are able to contact some of these programs, that might actually lead you to other programs. When I was a student, I reached out to IM attendings who I know had a good amount of clinic. Some of them were part of the community of IM PC educators and could say more.

I don't think where you go for IM makes a huge difference for less competitive fellowships if you work hard and network. Last I knew rheum was still on the lower end of competitive (but rising?). Endo lower end. Sports I think has always been higher but not sure for IM.

I think very highly of community IM programs, particularly if you are thinking IM PC.

If you don't plan on fellowship, and want to be clinician educator, mostly just work with residents, those positions are not difficult to get (for a variety of reasons) in the community. Academic, location, and prestige, changes that a bit, I'm not sure how. If you're not picky on where or prestige, my understanding was that if you just wanted to teach residents, you could, easily.

If you want to work inpt and outpt in a block-type schedule, I was told by many it is only in an educational setting that you really find that. Outside of education, IM PC either take call on their own hospitalized patients, or, like many, use a hospitalist. I was told by many it is difficult to get enough experience outpt during residency to work outpt, and that once transitioned to outpt, it is difficult to work inpt enough to keep up (obviously people do care for their clinic's inpts still, but it is going of style, partly because it isn't easy to stay current enough in both spheres). If one is to really split the time inpt and outpt, then you need to be part of a group that does that, which isn't that common outpt (not in a block schedule, call, yes). Basically, the only place you see it is academia or education.

As an IM PC-only attending, it might be more challenging to be involved in education. There are programs like I mentioned earlier that have IM attendings precept the resident clinics or have students for clinic, but never work inpt.

Also, I think of within the many specialties, staying strictly within IM with no fellowship, makes it easier to come from a community program and have a successful academic career and publish. Academic doesn't always mean you are at the University of Uptight A-holes. Research in PC is generally not hard to get involved in if you have the drive.

The other side of academia, publish or die, administration, etc and such, never interested me, so I can only pass on to you what I learned about what I learned about.

*I could be totally wrong. This is just what I gathered some time ago that might pertain to the OP. I would love to know more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could comment on primary care track residencies in terms of:
- which residency programs offer the best outpatient/PC training?
- what are the most important things to look for in a residency if planning to go into IM PC?
- how important is the reputation of your residency program if you are planning to do PC or an outpatient-based fellowship (rheum/sports/endo)?
- if you are interested in working as an academic PC after residency is it impossible to do after a community residency program?
- if you are interested in doing research in PC after residency is it impossible to do after a community residency program?

Thanks!
There are tons of IM programs w/ PC tracks, or separate PC programs. Literally tons. You can also, believe it or not, become a quite competent, perhaps even extraordinary, PCP, coming out of a traditional IM program.

The reputation of your program is always a little bit important. But if you're looking for a community based PCP gig after graduation, the references you get from your residency attendings and PD will be much more important than the name of the program.

One of the best clinic mentors I had in (university based) residency went to a community program for residency.

Reactions: 1 users