Primary Care Medical School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robojobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have a quick question. One of my top medical school choices is an MD school that says they are "Primary Care focused". The school is where I went to undergrad, did volunteering for them, its close to my house, and I have toured/met with people that work there and attend.

So I was just wondering, is there a significant disadvantage to going to this school if primary care is not what I intend on doing? Like is there any difference in curriculum or future placements? Also, on their secondary I am pretty sure it asks what specific field you are most interested in, will it sink my app if I do not say primary care? Just curious. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, so I have a quick question. One of my top medical school choices is an MD school that says they are "Primary Care focused". The school is where I went to undergrad, did volunteering for them, its close to my house, and I have toured/met with people that work there and attend.

So I was just wondering, is there a significant disadvantage to going to this school if primary care is not what I intend on doing?
1) Like is there any difference in curriculum or future placements?
2) Also, on their secondary I am pretty sure it asks what specific field you are most interested in, will it sink my app if I do not say primary care?
1) You can check the school's residency match list, which is generally publically available to answer the question about future placements. Curriculum questions could be researched on-line or asked during interviews of any med students with whom you come into contact.

2) You can specify internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, psychiatry, or OBGYN, all of which are considered to be "primary care specialties."

For fun, read this: Match Applicants Shocked to Find that Med School Personal Statement was Legally Binding: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...im-in-your-med-school-admission-essay.1055593