Primary Care physicians' role being "replaced" by doctor nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is futile. The "cats" are already out of the box, and multiplying like crazy. Soon there will be a "Nurse-Doctor" in every medical and surgical specialty. Mark my words. Why? Because the old wise owl once said "When money talks, bull-**** walks". They are cheap, have admitting privilages, and can write scripts. No health business establishment can resist their alure.

Who is to blame for this?

The idiot MDs who work with, hire, and teach NPs and DNPs. Thanks, you greedy old dumb fu@ks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check out this thread I started at allnurses.com

http://allnurses.com/forums/f8/emt-practitioner-305996.html

They have said some pretty interesting stuff....

That was totally awesome! Thanks for the laughs, Hat:laugh:

My Favorite Quote:

"if you want to work essentially as a nurse, with all nursing privaleges, then by all means go to nursing school and pass nclex..."

Cause all you gotta do is Replace
1. Nurse with doctor
2. Nursing with medical
3. NCLEX with ALL THREE STEPS OF USMLE/COMLEX

and you get...
"If you want to work essentially as a doctor, with all medical privaleges, then by all means go to medical school and pass ALL THREE STEPS OF USMLE/COMLEX..."

Quad Erat Demonstratum, (Latin version of OWNED!)

"if you want to work essentially as a nurse, with all nursing privaleges, then by all means go to nursing school and pass nclex..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Justice is sweeeeeeeet.:cool:

No one, NO ONE, should step one the other's foot. Assho!es.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesturday, I ordered an Endocrinology consult for one of my in-patients. They sent the Endocrinology-NP. After seeing the patient, she decided to start him on Apidra ISS. What does she do....She paged me, and said, "Dr. Leukocyte, we recommend starting him on ISS. Do you want me to put in the order for ISS, or would you like to do it yourself? I just do not want to step on your foot."

I was about to drop on my knees and ask her to marry me on the phone...:love:

This is futile. The "cats" are already out of the box, and multiplying like crazy. Soon there will be a "Nurse-Doctor" in every medical and surgical specialty. Mark my words. Why? Because the old wise owl once said "When money talks, bull-**** walks". They are cheap, have admitting privilages, and can write scripts. No health business establishment can resist their alure.

Who is to blame for this?

The idiot MDs who work with, hire, and teach NPs and DNPs. Thanks, you greedy old dumb fu@ks!

This is why I think it's ever more urgent for physicians to remedy this through legislative and legal action. Nurses won't be able to argue successfully that they aren't practicing medicine in court. This is how to end this stupidity.

Not that many years ago, many physicians graduated from medical school, did a one year rotating internship, and then went out and did general practice. When it became obvious that with increasing complexity of dealing with patients of all ages in a primary care setting more training was necessary, the specialty of family practice was developed, and physicians began doing THREE YEARS of residency training to meet this need.

Maybe someone can explain to me logically, how a "practicioner" can independently practice primary care without going to medical school (which involves two academic years of clinical training), and then doing a three year residency?????? In fact some physicians felt that even a three year FP residency was not extensive enough training to truly care for both children and adults and the med/peds combined residency was developed.

Medicine becomes increasingly more complex everyday. The solution to the shortage of primary care physicians is not to have non physicians attempt to assume this role.

Last edited:
DNP only flourish in the current system where many med grads are going to specialty fields, not primary care.

Once a socialized system is in place, guess what. More demand and policy for primary care docs. That means DNPs would be overpaid useless tools.

Midlevels don't really work in socialized systems. So it's funny how they will drive the cost of medicine meaning drive themselves out of business. I'm sure plenty of docs out there would take the pay hit in order to utilize their degree, and the DNP will have what leg up?

Once a socialized system is in place, guess what. More demand and policy for primary care docs. That means DNPs would be overpaid useless tools.

Midlevels don't really work in socialized systems. So it's funny how they will drive the cost of medicine meaning drive themselves out of business. I'm sure plenty of docs out there would take the pay hit in order to utilize their degree, and the DNP will have what leg up?

If a socialized medicine model comes to this country, don't you think that the nurses will lobby to have their place at the table? The nurses have powerful lobbying group in Washington as well. What they will argue is that the NP/DNP should be viewed the same as the primary care physician.

If a socialized medicine model comes to this country, don't you think that the nurses will lobby to have their place at the table? The nurses have powerful lobbying group in Washington as well. What they will argue is that the NP/DNP should be viewed the same as the primary care physician.
The nurses can do one thing that physicians cannot: organize around a common cause.

Physicians can't seem to come together to advocate for our profession. That's why we have lost so much over the past few years.

WE MUST STAND TOGETHER!