primary care programs and future fellowship possibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

242RC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are thoughts on applying to primary care tracks if you are not 100% sure you want to do primary care? For example, at this point, I think I want to end up as a general outpatient internist. However, I'm also interested in GI. Would attending a primary care program limit me to future fellowship possibilities?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are thoughts on applying to primary care tracks if you are not 100% sure you want to do primary care? For example, at this point, I think I want to end up as a general outpatient internist. However, I'm also interested in GI. Would attending a primary care program limit me to future fellowship possibilities?

Thanks.

In general, Primary Care residents do just as well as Categorical residents in getting fellowship slots. This assumes that the primary care resident does all the "right" things -- scores well on the USMLE, research project, etc.

There are no limits to your possibilities unless you want cardiothoracic surgery or reproductive endocrinology or something :laugh:

Seriously, I choose a primary care track because I like a slightly more outpatient focused curriculum, however since the advent of the 80 hour work- week and other ACGME rules to boot, the curriculum differences b/w primary care and categorical programs are now much smaller. I have always planned to do a fellowship and am happy with the decision I made. Good luck with your choice.