Sreven

5+ Year Member
May 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Different schools have different focuses. Some of the more prestigious names (Ivy League) tend to be more focused on research vs treating patients. They still cover the same material but have more of a research centered focus and curriculum.

US News and World Report ranks them separately.
Research Rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings
Primary Care Rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/primary-care-rankings

Ruhroh

Removed
Jun 4, 2012
Status
Different schools have different focuses. Some of the more prestigious names (Ivy League) tend to be more focused on research vs treating patients. They still cover the same material but have more of a research centered focus and curriculum.
I think this is a little misleading. A highly-ranked research school's curriculum will not prepare the typical 4 year MD student to be a physician-scientist any better than any other school. There might be more research opportunities available for students, but that is up to the student to pursue and is typically outside of the scope of the curriculum.

The big differences between schools show up in the rotations. Higher-ranked primary care schools typically prefer students to do a longer rotation in primary-care specialties (sometimes at the expense of other specialties) and consequently these schools match more students into those specialties. That is really the only major difference.

edit: want to add that I have been told that the primary care rankings are useless and to basically ignore them.

Last edited:

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007

US News and World Report ranks them separately.
Research Rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings
Primary Care Rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/primary-care-rankings
Most of these rankings are stupid and worthless, but even among those rankings, the primary care rankings are especially stupid and worthless. They mean nothing. Your preparation for primary care will largely depend partially on the rotations you do (where you do them) and mostly on your residency.

Jul 18, 2012
I am from the United States of America
Status
Pre-Medical
What makes a school better at primary care from the student perspective? Does this mean they constantly encourage you to go in this direction? They have resources to study primary care? Their rotations are super awesome? What is it really?

PS I was wondering because I hear a LOT of people saying they want to go to a "primary care" focused school. Not sure exactly what that means. Thanks!
What it means is some silly, clueless premed blindly regurgitated USNews statistics to you, as if the only possible career paths that exist in medicine are either primary care or a research.

The sooner you stop listening to the USNews report, the better. And, whenever you hear someone compare primary care vs. research, drop what you are doing, smile, stop listening, walk away, and hope that your brain hasn't already been poisoned.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
What makes a school better at primary care from the student perspective? Does this mean they constantly encourage you to go in this direction? They have resources to study primary care? Their rotations are super awesome? What is it really?

PS I was wondering because I hear a LOT of people saying they want to go to a "primary care" focused school. Not sure exactly what that means. Thanks!
People parrot that out because "primary care" is more associated with long-term, consistent patient contact - something the average pre-med salivates about and is presumably "desirable."

(sent from my phone)

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
To echo what's been said, the Primary Care rankings are basically crap, as are the Research rankings ('though to a slightly lesser degree). Outside the top 10, you're really not going to see much differentiation b/w schools until you get to the MD/DO gap (OOOOOHHH... here comes the flame war), but even that "gap" is really quite small. The only major gap is b/w American/Canadian medical students and foreign/international medical students (i.e., those in the Carib, etc.).