Primary Care Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k24dawg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might be getting a little ahead of myself, considering I have not been invited to a single interview, but I was trying to find out more about sports medicine. If you do a residency in family practice and then a sports med fellowship do most physicians practice sports med exclusively, or how do they usually split their time? The other thing I noticed is that there are quite a few more MD fellowship programs. Do these require an AAFP residency or can you do a DO family practice residency and then match into the fellowship? Any info on this would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this might be getting a little ahead of myself, considering I have not been invited to a single interview, but I was trying to find out more about sports medicine. If you do a residency in family practice and then a sports med fellowship do most physicians practice sports med exclusively, or how do they usually split their time? The other thing I noticed is that there are quite a few more MD fellowship programs. Do these require an AAFP residency or can you do a DO family practice residency and then match into the fellowship? Any info on this would be great.

Hmm good question. I think a lot of people who do sports medicine complete their residency in PM and R, but I could be wrong.

Most of the primary care fellowships that I have looked at require family practice, emergency medicine, or pediatrics, but these are all ACGME accredited at places like Wisconsin, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Ohio State. I was wondering if there is something similar in Osteopathy. The only thing I have found so far is at VCOM that is what I would call an AOA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might be getting a little ahead of myself, considering I have not been invited to a single interview, but I was trying to find out more about sports medicine...

I do research at a Sports Med facility and there are 4 or 5 primary care sports physicians on staff there, 1 DO. I know at least 3 of them did a family practice residency followed by a primary sports fellowship. I know 2 of the physicians see more general patients elsewhere on certain days of the week but the majority of the patients they see are somewhat sports related. They are also team physicians for some of the high schools and smaller colleges in the area.

Also, I forgot to mention that sports docs do not necessarily see people that were injured while playing sports or participating in sports related activities. The primary care sports people and ortho sports docs for that matter, see a large percentage of patients that are older with bone/ joint problems (eg. hip, rotator cuff, ACL, meniscus, etc).

I believe ortho can also do a sports medicine fellowship.

and i just realized that had 0 to do with OPs question...grrr, sorry

I believe ortho can also do a sports medicine fellowship.

The primary care sports people do residencies in the fields mentioned above such as family med., while the ortho people do a residency in ortho and therefore their sports fellowship is a surgical sports medicine fellowship. The primary care people cannot do surgeries, those are reserved for the orthopods.

Does anyone know how competitive the sports med. fellowships are because from what I've seen there aren't that many.