• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

primary care vs patient care

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,777
1,997
  1. Attending Physician
    kelpy said:
    Can primary care and patient care be used interchangeably?
    Even though I want to be an oncologist, I used the term primary care instead of patient care in one sentence of my app. Will this hurt my app?
    Primary care, from what I understand, is usually used in the context of a primary care provider (such as a doc specializing in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, or Pediatrics) as opposed to a specialist (such as an oncologist).

    I wouldn't worry about it if you just made a single slip. These things are bound to happen.
     

    QuantumMechanic

    Avatar=One of the Greats
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Nov 23, 2005
    2,455
    4
    Hilbert Space
    1. Medical Student
      kelpy said:
      Can primary care and patient care be used interchangeably?
      Even though I want to be an oncologist, I used the term primary care instead of patient care in one sentence of my app. Will this hurt my app?

      no and no.

      although primary care and patient care are not the same thing, you can get around this by twisting the meaning of primary care. Oncologists are essentially the primary care doc for cancer patients.
       
      About the Ads

      Law2Doc

      5K+ Member
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Dec 20, 2004
      30,880
      10,058
      1. Attending Physician
        notdeadyet said:
        Primary care, from what I understand, is usually used in the context of a primary care provider (such as a doc specializing in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, or Pediatrics) as opposed to a specialist (such as an oncologist).

        I wouldn't worry about it if you just made a single slip. These things are bound to happen.

        I'm not sure the internal medicine specialties constitute primary care.
         

        Law2Doc

        5K+ Member
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Dec 20, 2004
        30,880
        10,058
        1. Attending Physician
          kelpy said:
          What exactly is primary care then? I always thought it is equivalent to patient care in the sense of treating patients since the US News divides schools into two categories: research and primary care.

          Specialists treat patients too-- That clearly isn't the definition. It means the doctor you see at your first point of contact in medicine. It is thus the FPs, the ED docs, the pediatricians.

          I'm pretty sure it is not the IM specialist (cardiologist, Gastrointerologist, etc) you get referred to by your PCP, or where you get sent up to from the ED.
           

          notdeadyet

          Still in California
          15+ Year Member
          Jul 23, 2004
          11,777
          1,997
          1. Attending Physician
            Law2Doc said:
            I'm not sure the internal medicine specialties constitute primary care.
            No, but internal medicine as a specialty constitutes medical care. A fair percentage of primary care physicians are internists, not family practice. But the subspecialties (cardiology, nephrology, etc.) would not be primary care.
             

            Law2Doc

            5K+ Member
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            Dec 20, 2004
            30,880
            10,058
            1. Attending Physician
              notdeadyet said:
              No, but internal medicine as a specialty constitutes medical care. A fair percentage of primary care physicians are internists, not family practice. But the subspecialties (cardiology, nephrology, etc.) would not be primary care.

              Sounds right.
              But bear in mind that because the subspecialties (there are 9 or 10 big ones) tend to be a big popular draw, a school with a ton of people placing into IM residencies might actually be a school which ultimately sends very few people into primary care.
               

              Sol Rosenberg

              Long Live the New Flesh!
              15+ Year Member
              Feb 12, 2006
              3,534
              12
              Living in America
              1. Attending Physician
                Law2Doc said:
                Specialists treat patients too-- That clearly isn't the definition. It means the doctor you see at your first point of contact in medicine. It is thus the FPs, the ED docs, the pediatricians.

                I'm pretty sure it is not the IM specialist (cardiologist, Gastrointerologist, etc) you get referred to by your PCP, or where you get sent up to from the ED.
                Like notdeadyet said, internists (IM docs) are generally regarded as primary care. The IM specialties are generally not.

                ED doctors are generally NOT considered primary care, either, though I think they should be because, like you said, they are your first point-of-contact for an emergency.
                 

                notdeadyet

                Still in California
                15+ Year Member
                Jul 23, 2004
                11,777
                1,997
                1. Attending Physician
                  jota_jota said:
                  ED doctors are generally NOT considered primary care, either, though I think they should be because, like you said, they are your first point-of-contact for an emergency.
                  And, if you're at a county hospital, the primary care physician for a depressingly large segment of the population.
                   

                  joanofarc0907

                  Senior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Jul 6, 2006
                  550
                  3
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    jota_jota said:
                    Like notdeadyet said, internists (IM docs) are generally regarded as primary care. The IM specialties are generally not.

                    ED doctors are generally NOT considered primary care, either, though I think they should be because, like you said, they are your first point-of-contact for an emergency.


                    Never EVER should ED doctors be considered primary care doctors. They do not follow patients, they know nothing about patients except what they are told and the paper work that is lucky enough to come with them. Primary care doctors are there to follow a patient through their care and manage this. ED doctors are there for EMERGENCIES!!! I can not tell you how much this matters!! (can you tell I work in an ER?)
                     
                    About the Ads

                    Law2Doc

                    5K+ Member
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    10+ Year Member
                    Dec 20, 2004
                    30,880
                    10,058
                    1. Attending Physician
                      joanofarc0907 said:
                      Never EVER should ED doctors be considered primary care doctors. They do not follow patients, they know nothing about patients except what they are told and the paper work that is lucky enough to come with them. Primary care doctors are there to follow a patient through their care and manage this. ED doctors are there for EMERGENCIES!!! I can not tell you how much this matters!! (can you tell I work in an ER?)

                      I think what the above folks are saying is that in a ton of cases, the ED doctor is the ONLY physician a lot of folks will EVER see. So they know as much about the patient as any doctor, and follow and manage the patient as far as any doctor ever will.
                       

                      QuantumMechanic

                      Avatar=One of the Greats
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Nov 23, 2005
                      2,455
                      4
                      Hilbert Space
                      1. Medical Student
                        kelpy said:
                        What exactly is primary care then? I always thought it is equivalent to patient care in the sense of treating patients since the US News divides schools into two categories: research and primary care.

                        you can't equate primary care with patient care due to the us news dichotomy. the research ranking rank schools based off of their research caliber and reputation. the primary care rankings rank schools based off of how many of their students go into primary care specialties. Neither have nothing to do directly with the actual quality of the clinical education!
                         

                        kelpy

                        Senior Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jul 24, 2003
                        178
                        0
                        35
                          Do you guys think this issue will come up in interviews if I only used it once in the PS? Can I redeem this by extending the meaning of the word and telling them that I meant getting involved in patients lives by following their health closely.
                           

                          joanofarc0907

                          Senior Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          Jul 6, 2006
                          550
                          3
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            Law2Doc said:
                            I think what the above folks are saying is that in a ton of cases, the ED doctor is the ONLY physician a lot of folks will EVER see. So they know as much about the patient as any doctor, and follow and manage the patient as far as any doctor ever will.

                            I know what they meant...its just a sore subject :) Unfortunatly what you say is true, but that is not the purpose of an ED physician technically, and I know for a fact that is not why people go into emergency medicine as a specialty.
                             

                            kelpy

                            Senior Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Jul 24, 2003
                            178
                            0
                            35
                              kelpy said:
                              Do you guys think this issue will come up in interviews if I only used it once in the PS? Can I redeem this by extending the meaning of the word and telling them that I meant getting involved in patients lives by following their health closely.


                              bump
                               

                              OSUdoc08

                              Membership Revoked
                              Removed
                              15+ Year Member
                              Sep 30, 2003
                              7,684
                              6
                              1. Medical Student
                                kelpy said:
                                Can primary care and patient care be used interchangeably?
                                Even though I want to be an oncologist, I used the term primary care instead of patient care in one sentence of my app. Will this hurt my app?

                                Primary Care = Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and in some cases, Emergency Medicine, OB/GYN, and Psychiatry.

                                Patient Care = what physicians and allied health personnel do for patients.

                                These terms are COMPLETELY unrelated.
                                 

                                OSUdoc08

                                Membership Revoked
                                Removed
                                15+ Year Member
                                Sep 30, 2003
                                7,684
                                6
                                1. Medical Student
                                  kelpy said:
                                  Since oncology is an internal medicine subspecialty, does it count as primary care?

                                  No. All subspecialties are by definition not primary care. They are subspecialties.

                                  Primary care means the doctor a patient sees first (your "regular" doctor). You don't go to an oncologist until you have been referred to one.
                                   

                                  QuantumMechanic

                                  Avatar=One of the Greats
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Nov 23, 2005
                                  2,455
                                  4
                                  Hilbert Space
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    kelpy said:
                                    Since oncology is an internal medicine subspecialty, does it count as primary care?

                                    not in the strictest sense, but an oncologist pretty much takes the role of a primary care doc for cancer patients since they have to closely track their progress and watch for any conditions which may adversely effect the health of oncology patients who tend to be frail due to chemotherapy (opportunistic infections are common).

                                    I wouldn't worry about this minor gaffe. What's important for admission is a dedication to medicine, obviously the direction you take this dedication may change once in med school and thats understood, just be clear that you want to be a physician in your interviews and I'm sure that this won't be a problem at all.
                                     
                                    About the Ads

                                    Law2Doc

                                    5K+ Member
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    Dec 20, 2004
                                    30,880
                                    10,058
                                    1. Attending Physician
                                      quantummechanic said:
                                      not in the strictest sense, but an oncologist pretty much takes the role of a primary care doc for cancer patients since they have to closely track their progress and watch for any conditions which may adversely effect the health of oncology patients who tend to be frail due to chemotherapy (opportunistic infections are common).

                                      I wouldn't worry about this minor gaffe. What's important for admission is a dedication to medicine, obviously the direction you take this dedication may change once in med school and thats understood, just be clear that you want to be a physician in your interviews and I'm sure that this won't be a problem at all.

                                      I think you are trying to use "primary" as a definitional substitute for "main", rather than "first" (as in primary secondary, tertiary, and so on). The term "primary care" is not who is the main physician (although it certainly can be), it is who is the "first" physician. The front line. Oncologists are who you get sent to once a smart primary care doctor realizes you have a problem which requires a specialist.
                                       

                                      notdeadyet

                                      Still in California
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Jul 23, 2004
                                      11,777
                                      1,997
                                      1. Attending Physician
                                        kelpy said:
                                        Since oncology is an internal medicine subspecialty, does it count as primary care?
                                        You're stretching. It's a goof, but it's a minor one in the big picture.

                                        You'll look far worse trying to justify your classification of oncologist as primary care than you would be to just own up to a minor error.

                                        If that's the biggest mistake you make in this process, you're doing a lot better than most.
                                         
                                        oncology isn't primary care. i don't think the two terms are interchangeable but nothing you can really do now to correct that, so don't worry about it. if the question comes up, just tell them you inserted the wrong word, no biggie.

                                        btw, don't tell people in interviews that you want to be an oncologist. tell them you're keeping an open mind, and if pressed for an answer, say internal med (not a lie!) haha.
                                         

                                        Hoberto

                                        Squirrel Girl
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        Apr 10, 2005
                                        8,457
                                        7
                                        1. Attending Physician
                                          When I see or hear patient care I think of nurses, CNAs, PTs and other similar allied health professionals.

                                          As far as your application goes, don't worry about it and don't bring it up in the future! :luck:
                                           

                                          Kuba

                                          Full Member
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          Mar 19, 2006
                                          3,015
                                          11
                                          36
                                          NYC
                                          1. Attending Physician
                                            so this begs the question, why in the world is ob/gyn primary care?! I get that the Gyn part can be primary care sometimes, but what if an obgyn is constatly delivering babies, doesnt seem like primary care to me.
                                             

                                            Law2Doc

                                            5K+ Member
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            Dec 20, 2004
                                            30,880
                                            10,058
                                            1. Attending Physician
                                              DRKUBA said:
                                              so this begs the question, why in the world is ob/gyn primary care?! I get that the Gyn part can be primary care sometimes, but what if an obgyn is constatly delivering babies, doesnt seem like primary care to me.

                                              If the patient is the baby, that is clearly the first physician they see...
                                               

                                              QuantumMechanic

                                              Avatar=One of the Greats
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Nov 23, 2005
                                              2,455
                                              4
                                              Hilbert Space
                                              1. Medical Student
                                                Law2Doc said:
                                                I think you are trying to use "primary" as a definitional substitute for "main", rather than "first" (as in primary secondary, tertiary, and so on). The term "primary care" is not who is the main physician (although it certainly can be), it is who is the "first" physician. The front line. Oncologists are who you get sent to once a smart primary care doctor realizes you have a problem which requires a specialist.

                                                You are right. But in a way, the oncologist acts as a PCP for cancer patients referring them as needed to surgeons, rad oncs, palliative care phyiscians, and other specialists who assist in cancer treatment. the OP can at least redeem him or herself by pointing this out.
                                                 

                                                Law2Doc

                                                5K+ Member
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                Dec 20, 2004
                                                30,880
                                                10,058
                                                1. Attending Physician
                                                  quantummechanic said:
                                                  You are right. But in a way, the oncologist acts as a PCP for cancer patients referring them as needed to surgeons, rad oncs, palliative care phyiscians, and other specialists who assist in cancer treatment. the OP can at least redeem him or herself by pointing this out.

                                                  I guess that would really be the secondary physician referring on to a tertiary. Primary was the front line and is no longer in the picture. The OP should not bring any more attention to this.
                                                   

                                                  OSUdoc08

                                                  Membership Revoked
                                                  Removed
                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                  Sep 30, 2003
                                                  7,684
                                                  6
                                                  1. Medical Student
                                                    DRKUBA said:
                                                    so this begs the question, why in the world is ob/gyn primary care?! I get that the Gyn part can be primary care sometimes, but what if an obgyn is constatly delivering babies, doesnt seem like primary care to me.

                                                    A majority of women see an OB/GYN for regular check-ups. This is often the only physician they see.

                                                    Obviously if you are an OB only and not OB/GYN, you wouldn't be considered.
                                                     
                                                    About the Ads
                                                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                                    Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                    1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    7. This thread is locked.