Primary care w/ loan repayment vs. Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docman85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get people's opinions on this as to which would provide for a better lifestyle later on.

I will graduate with around 220 in debt, my wife is a midlevel with 120

Would it be a better idea for me to go into primary care and get loan repayment or choose a more lucrative specialty?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to get people's opinions on this as to which would provide for a better lifestyle later on.

I will graduate with around 220 in debt, my wife is a midlevel with 120

Would it be a better idea for me to go into primary care and get loan repayment or choose a more lucrative specialty?!?!

Either one will provide you a decent living at some point down the road. Do what you enjoy doing. Loan repayment is no good if you don't enjoy primary care. These kinds of programs are best if they give you the money for something you would be doing anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather have a life than a lifestyle.

Could not agree more....do what you love, otherwise you'll find yourself 15 years down the road in a situation where your spouse has to force you to go to work every morning...no amount of toys, $$$ makes a job you can't stand worth it....

Really liked surgery, EM, IM, OB but could not stand the lifestyle...I wanted to generally be home and off when my family was home and off....don't mind working long hours but family is important to me.....I was chillin' and grillin' by/in the pool on July 4, just finished up having Christmas through New Year's off, and generally have most major holidays off if I'm in clinic...and that's DURING residency.....loan repayment makes it a plus...

justplainbill - your profile doesnt mention what your specialty is...are you FM?