Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there people that get 250+ on boards and go on to do family medicine? And if so, do these people lead careers different from the regular Fam doc?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there people that get 250+ on boards and go on to do family medicine? And if so, do these people lead careers different from the regular Fam doc?

Some people actually like family medicine. Some of the higher achievers like the full breadth of family med (inpatient, outpatient, peds/adults, and OB).

If you think about it, family medicine is a 3 year relatively non-intense residency that leads to a good lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is that Dartmouth residency serving the Maine area: http://www.mainedartmouth.org/
I don't know their average step scores, but I read about the program in the book "The Heirs of Private Practice" (about the origin of family medicine as a specialty), it sounds like a great program.

If I were interested in family med and living in the northeast, that program would be my #1. I can't imagine a 250 Step 1 score would hurt an applicant's chances...;)

Yes, I have a friend who scored > 250 and went into Family med because that's what he enjoyed doing.

Why would a good step 1 score make a family medicine physician any different than the rest?

Reactions: 1 users
Most of my friends that got above 250 on the boards are going for internal. I realize that this post is tangentially related to your op

Yes, and no (to your second question), not significantly. Possibly somewhat due to getting into a better residency leading to better job opportunities down the line.

People with high board scores go for what they're interested in all the time, even if that is FM or Peds or IM.

Most of my friends that got above 250 on the boards are going for internal. I realize that this post is tangentially related to your op

Very different scenario IMO. IM generally leads to fellowship specialization, which is easier to achieve if you come from a higher-ranked, more academic, residency program. The top 10 IM residency programs in the country are probably nearly as difficult to get a residency in as regular residency programs in other more competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 user