1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Primary Care

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ekristek, Jun 30, 2001.

1. ekristek

ekristek Junior Member

First of all, let me say that this is a wonderful site!!!!! I have gained so much important information. Here is my question: what does primary care include? OB/GYN? Peds? Geriatrics? Internal?

Also, I'm starting my undergraduate work this fall at University of Missouri, Columbia. I am considering getting a job in a doctor's office as a medical assistant. Do any of you know if a job such as this would give me good experience in the medical field? I want a job (paid or volunteer) that will be a learning experience. Also, what type of training does one need to become a medical assistant? Thanks for any input. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe primary care includes parts of all of the above. Actually, it is peds, family, and IM. Those three specialities I believe are considered 'primary care.'
    I too was interested in becoming a medical assistant...you can't just have some volunteer experience and be an assistant. You need to get formal training at say a technical school. This is great, but if you don't have the time or money, volunteer as a research assistant in the clinical field or volunteer at a hospital or clinic.
    The only medical assistants that I have seen that don't need formal training, are the ones that do the 'clerical' work.

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    joojoobeware is right....

Primary care includes: OB/GYN, IM, FP, Geriatrics, Peds, Psych (according to NHSC)....

Any experience where you get to work hands on will be a great experience. Just make sure you're doing it out of like for the job and not just a filler for your resume.... Good luck and best wishes....

5. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some states (kansas) consider ER primary care also.

later

6. star23

star23 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think the key thing about getting some experience, is that you have some patient contact and you learn or at least observe a little about how healthcare is practiced. Be sure that if you are getting a medical assistant job, you aren't going to be stuck in the records or billing dept and never see anything else.

7. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was going to post up again on this topic because I know that Emergency medicine is sometimes considered Primary care, but someone else posted.... but I second that.... :D