Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekristek

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me say that this is a wonderful site!!!!! I have gained so much important information. Here is my question: what does primary care include? OB/GYN? Peds? Geriatrics? Internal?

Also, I'm starting my undergraduate work this fall at University of Missouri, Columbia. I am considering getting a job in a doctor's office as a medical assistant. Do any of you know if a job such as this would give me good experience in the medical field? I want a job (paid or volunteer) that will be a learning experience. Also, what type of training does one need to become a medical assistant? Thanks for any input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe primary care includes parts of all of the above. Actually, it is peds, family, and IM. Those three specialities I believe are considered 'primary care.'
I too was interested in becoming a medical assistant...you can't just have some volunteer experience and be an assistant. You need to get formal training at say a technical school. This is great, but if you don't have the time or money, volunteer as a research assistant in the clinical field or volunteer at a hospital or clinic.
The only medical assistants that I have seen that don't need formal training, are the ones that do the 'clerical' work.

joojoobeware is right....

Primary care includes: OB/GYN, IM, FP, Geriatrics, Peds, Psych (according to NHSC)....

Any experience where you get to work hands on will be a great experience. Just make sure you're doing it out of like for the job and not just a filler for your resume.... Good luck and best wishes....

Members don't see this ad :)
Some states (kansas) consider ER primary care also.

later

I think the key thing about getting some experience, is that you have some patient contact and you learn or at least observe a little about how healthcare is practiced. Be sure that if you are getting a medical assistant job, you aren't going to be stuck in the records or billing dept and never see anything else.

I was going to post up again on this topic because I know that Emergency medicine is sometimes considered Primary care, but someone else posted.... but I second that.... :D