Primary met to the liver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katieb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA says colon, Goljan says lung. I think it's colon, right?

Members don't see this ad.

[QUOTE,=katieb]FA says colon, Goljan says lung. I think it's colon, right?[/QUOTE]

Colon (GI), lung, breast....in that order. That is what we were taught, and that is what i find in most texts including Harrisons and Robbins.

Members don't see this ad :)
bigfrank said:
you won't be asked this on any Step exam.

Hate to have to disagree with you but NBME asked the exact concept on a shelf exam this year. Goljan caused me to get it wrong. He made up for it in other areas.

Pox in a box said:
Hate to have to disagree with you but NBME asked the exact concept on a shelf exam this year. Goljan caused me to get it wrong. He made up for it in other areas.

I agree, this is certainly a possibility. However, everyone should understand that colon is more likely to metastasize to the liver, but I believe that more lung CA = more mets. This is a point of contention, so someone should really try to find some stats here.

Also depends on what kind of cancer. For example, met to the liver could be a krunkenburg tumor of the ovaries. The question must have given some hint on what kind of cancer it is.

i always just remember enterohepatic circulation, this is a means by which GI malignancies can get to the liver. so GI->liver makes sense to me.

krukenberg tumor classically i thought was ovary->stomach, but an obgyn attending once told me that it has been expanded to ovary->GI.

Idiopathic said:
I agree, this is certainly a possibility. However, everyone should understand that colon is more likely to metastasize to the liver, but I believe that more lung CA = more mets. This is a point of contention, so someone should really try to find some stats here.

I've got some stats and it was dead last (lung).

Liver metastases organ of origin: colon (42%), stomach (23%), pancreas (21%), breast (14%), lung (13%) from Radiology Review Manual.

Ironically, I got the question today 2nd block! I laughed out loud. It's too bad that I'll never know for sure whether I got it right or not.

imtiaz said:
i always just remember enterohepatic circulation, this is a means by which GI malignancies can get to the liver. so GI->liver makes sense to me.

krukenberg tumor classically i thought was ovary->stomach, but an obgyn attending once told me that it has been expanded to ovary->GI.

Krukenberg tumors are signet ring cell adenocarcinomas that arise in the stomach (classically stomach but may include other GI tumors) and then metastasize to the ovary.