Primatene Mist returning to OTC shelves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The once-popular non-prescription asthma inhaler Primatene Mist can go back on the market after having been banned for seven years, the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday.

It will be the first time consumers can buy an asthma inhaler without a doctor’s prescription since the inhaler went off the market in 2011. The FDA revoked marketing permission because the inhaler was driven by ozone-destroying CFC chemicals (and not at all because of the questionable safety of allowing folks to be managing their asthma on their own - I guess we have that to look forward to again).

I miss the old commercials; just look at how quickly it opens those bronchi right up!

On the bright side, I suppose this ends the argument that appears once a year on SDN and in pharmacy school admissions writing samples about how to handle the asthmatic who is having an attack in your pharmacy and doesn't have any refills left on their albuterol...

Full story here: You can buy Primatene Mist again, without a prescription

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
On the bright side, I suppose this ends the argument that appears once a year on SDN and in pharmacy school admissions writing samples about how to handle the asthmatic who is having an attack in your pharmacy and doesn't have any refills left on their albuterol...

Most important part of your whole post.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct answer is still to give them the damn Ventolin and get the script later.

Hey look it's Mr. Nothing applies to me. I bet you drive buzzed, risking the lives of others.

Edit: I'm not having this argument again

Last edited:
In reality people stockpile inhalers for sale or emergency (1 every 17 days) so they shouldn't run out. "Get it in the parking lot."

Those tantrum-throwing derps who "just" came from the ED and claimed a nurse said Medi-Cal pts can get inhalers without a script can take a hike.

Reactions: 1 user
On the bright side, I suppose this ends the argument that appears once a year on SDN and in pharmacy school admissions writing samples about how to handle the asthmatic who is having an attack in your pharmacy and doesn't have any refills left on their albuterol

There really isn't a reason to even ask this in a pharmacy school interview. Schools have all of this objective data on applicants and still leave a window open to let less qualified people to talk themselves into the position. The interview is just a measure of who can bull**** the best. Academia is a fantasy world run by prestige-chasing, narcissistic sadists...so I'm not sure what I'm expecting. Of course they make everyone march in and grovel before them to beg for a position in their school. And present them with idiotic questions that have no good answer or purpose.

And let's not act like they would take kindly to the real answer to the question. Which, for those keeping track, is "We live in a capitalistic, free market country with a corporatist healthcare system. I would do whatever my corporate policy tells me to do. I'm not trying to get fired. "

No, no. They want you to lie to them. They want to hear you bull**** them. Which is pretty much academia in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There is no good reason to have this on the market except that the system is broken and sometimes people can't afford albuterol/an ER visit/an MD copay, etc.

I kinda like the ethics question, but don't use it in the setting of pharmacy school applicants. It has definitely been part of both job and residency interviews. I find ethical questions have value not because of the choice people make but because of their ability to defend it.

Just saw this in PL and was going to post this exact thing. Sadly I see you bet me to it by several months. No surprise, I figured someone must have.

OTC price is $29.99. Maybe a generic store brand will come out

There really isn't a reason to even ask this in a pharmacy school interview. Schools have all of this objective data on applicants and still leave a window open to let less qualified people to talk themselves into the position. The interview is just a measure of who can bull**** the best. Academia is a fantasy world run by prestige-chasing, narcissistic sadists...so I'm not sure what I'm expecting. Of course they make everyone march in and grovel before them to beg for a position in their school. And present them with idiotic questions that have no good answer or purpose.

And let's not act like they would take kindly to the real answer to the question. Which, for those keeping track, is "We live in a capitalistic, free market country with a corporatist healthcare system. I would do whatever my corporate policy tells me to do. I'm not trying to get fired. "

No, no. They want you to lie to them. They want to hear you bull**** them. Which is pretty much academia in a nutshell.

Yes, yes. Lying with conviction is a real skill, perhaps the only real skill differentiator in a sea of otherwise numerically sterile candidates. (Nonsarcastic) I don't care about people's GPA or whether they were good little volunteers, I could choose the entire class fairly easily if it were just numbers. No, I want to test their skill at lying to me, to have the charisma to sell me on their admission, because its the same skill that you use on patients to say that what you're giving them is going to make them better (unless it's Scheduled, but then the drugs sell themselves). On a more serious side, especially for graduate admissions, numbers lie, interviews lie, but they're bare minimum thresholds that if you can't keep up a professional mien for 3 hours, then, it doesn't matter what else is going for you.

I bought one. My customers haven't bought a single one, yet.

What's the active ingredient in this? Not legit ephedrine like Primatene tabs (right)?

It's epinephrine, same as before.

I guess that was before my time in pharmacy, but it's *****ic to name it "Primatene" anything when the active in the Primatene tablets is actually Ephedrine HCl.

I guess that was before my time in pharmacy, but it's *****ic to name it "Primatene" anything when the active in the Primatene tablets is actually Ephedrine HCl.
Have you heard of dulcolax stool softeners? Or Claritin eye drops?

Reactions: 5 users
When I was a kid, a lot of us found those Primatene commercials amusing and would imitate them while playing television, before saying "Let's pause now for station identification."