Princeton MCAT teachers??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there a MCAT instructor for TPR? I was thinking of trying to do that part time in the spring. Any clues as to how to go about it? I think I'd like to teach G.chem, my score breakdown is 10V, 12P, 13B. Are there score cutoffs you need to teach a class, and if so what are they?

thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

I was just hired by TPR to teach the bio section. I had a 13 on bio and felt that I was most qualified to teach that. I might also teach physics. TPR actually recruited me because they are in dire need of teachers in the Tampa area. It's great pay and I can teach at night and on weekend when I am not working at my full-time job. As for score cutoffs, I don't know if there is or isn't. There were a couple of people in my training that hadn't even taken the MCAT yet but were being trained because they had done well on TPR's diag. I didn't take TPR or Kaplan or any expensive review course so I am learning about TPR's methods, etc. As long as you aren't a flake in front of people and know your stuff you should be qualified to teach. It's a great way to review before med school when you prepare lessons and its a good resume booster, plus it's great pay (it will help pay for all of those secondary applications). Anyway if you want more info you should call your local TPR and see if they are hiring and when they would train you because our training was the last 2 weekends because the class starts on Nov. 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR also recruited me...the pay is good so I may do it!
~ Spunk

I interviewed for both...

cut-offs to teach a section for TPR are 10's...so you're fine DW

for kaplan it's 11...at least in my neck of the woods

A lot depends on if the Princeton Review or Kaplan center you're applying at needs people. I know the one in my area was desperate for awhile and started hiring undergrads who did not have official scores back from April to teach this summer. Of course they did well on their practice tests. Anyhow, it's definitely worth a try, especially after paying all that cash to take the class!!! Time to get some back!

hey DW.... iwas thinking about teaching to...do you know who to contact in the atlanta area??? PM me if ya do.

Do they care if you took their class or not? I never took a review class, but I did well on the MCAT and I thought that teaching a class would be a good job this summer.

nah i don't think they care. as long as you have above the cutoffs... everyone has to go through an audition process anyway, i believe

I got recruited by kaplan and am teaching all 4 sections, min. score is 11 per and Q

when people say they were "recruited" do you mean kaplan or tpr just contacted you out of the blue, having obtained your MCAT score from AAMC somehow, or do you mean you applied? no particular reason, just curious...

I taught for Hyperlearning for a while and they didn't have any minimum score requirement. But everyone who was hired and had an MCAT score had done pretty well. I seriously think they care about teaching more than the score, because a good score does not mean you can teach well. Knock them dead at the interview and they will love you.

I occassionally get "recruited" to teach, because I'll tutor one of their students and the student says something to PR. I think they just try to get as many applicants as possible to increase the chances of getting a good teacher. In this area, they have a bunch of undergraduates teaching, as does Kaplan. I don't think they care about academic credentials.

Good luck getting hired. Just to toss the number out there, when I taught, the salary range was $18 to $27.50 an hour, depending on experience. What does it pay nowadays?