Princeton Review or Kaplan and

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much did it raise your score on Quantitative and Verbal? It is alot of money to spend so I just wanna be sure. My GPA is only average so I am depending on the GRE score to keep me out of the slush pile. :p

Members don't see this ad.

how much did it raise your score on Quantitative and Verbal? It is alot of money to spend so I just wanna be sure. My GPA is only average so I am depending on the GRE score to keep me out of the slush pile. :p

I took Princeton Review's GRE course and felt that it helped me out. When I decided I wanted to take the GRE, I was already out of school for a while so I felt I was a bit rusty. I've always been good at Math, but I hadn't looked at any math problems in a long while. I started out getting pretty high on the Math on practice tests, but with the course's help, I raised it up by another 100 points. Now, I've never been great at the Verbal section. Me and that section have had problems, dating back to the SAT. I was getting TERRIBLE scores on practice tests, but on the test, I scored about 100 points higher on that section too. Still not as high as I wanted, but definitely an improvement.

What I felt the course helped with more than anything was confidence. Going into the course, I was pretty terrified, but by the end, I knew what I was getting into. The anxiety never really goes away, but they do a really good job at giving you good test-taking tips, along with reviewing things that come up often on the test. So, in the end, I went up about 200 points. I'm sure there are people whose score stayed the same or went up even more. But was it worth it, for me? Hell yes. :)

I used the books... both, but the PR math section was responsible for a 300-350 point gain.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a Kaplan course for Math only. I've always been strong on the Verbal and have struggled forever with Math. Also, when I took the GRE it had been 20 yrs since I'd taken any math in school, so I really needed to strat from scratch and re-learn the subject. After the Kaplan math class I did general studying on my own using a combination of PR and Kaplan books, as well as online tutorials and practice tests from both College Board and Kaplan.

In the end I improved my math score 170 points from my SAT score. Using the books and online materials I went up about 50 points on the Verbal.

Thank you guys for the input. Princeton seems to be a little cheaper so I will probably go that route, and more people are choosing them over Kaplan. :) :luck::xf: