Princeton Review Score vs. mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm doing to biological passages from princeton review. You know those 15 passages per section that come up. I have a question for those that have done them. How did you biological score on the princeton review book compare with the bio score on the mcat?

For me, its like I have the upperhand in some passages and in other passages I am being destroyed and broken down completely.

Members don't see this ad.

They used to tell you to add 1 or 2 points onto your last diag score (per section) for your expected score on the actual test (assuming the test goes well), and that's pretty much how it was for me and the other people I took the class with. It's been a couple of years since I took both princeton review and mcat though, so it might have changed.

That's the way it goes, though. Some passages you nail, some you need to work on. Start to focus on the topics which give you the most trouble. Good luck!

I would agree with AnotherDork to add 1 or 2 points to the LAST diagnostic. As a past teacher, I know that each diagnostic differs in difficulty also. If my memory serves me correctly, the third one is supposed to kick your ass to scare you, and the last one is probably most indicative. However, this addition of 1 or 2 points depends on how well/not well you are doing on the practice tests. If you are getting in the 8-10 range, add 1-2 points, if you are getting 11's and above, you may score the same or a point more from my experience. Remember, the test is not a raw score test, its a curve. The difference between a 10 and 12 is huge. Its a whole standard deviation I believe.
Also, since you are enrolled in PR, you can ask for even more practice tests that you can cannibalize and use for practice during studying. They should have another five to ten additional older practice tests that they can give you. They may not be as current, but they are still very good as a resource of practice questions. Get those tests and maybe do blocks of 3 or 4 passages at a time. Then review them and make sure you understand why the answers are the way they are. Then get back to studying. Keep at it, and you're score can definately improve. Mine did.

Sscooterguy

shaq786 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm doing to biological passages from princeton review. You know those 15 passages per section that come up. I have a question for those that have done them. How did you biological score on the princeton review book compare with the bio score on the mcat?

For me, its like I have the upperhand in some passages and in other passages I am being destroyed and broken down completely.

i am taking TPR as well, and my problem is : should i be reviewing more or just keep doing passages? im not sure how the diags are. but then i took my first one without reviewing anyhting, just by keeping up with the home works.
i feel like even tho im doing all the passages, im not remembering things. and yet everyone says practice practice. so whats the deal/

hotdawg,

You should spend most of your time studying and reviewing, and spend a quarter of the time doing practice questions during the week. On the weekends, do the same, unless you are doing a practice exam. I suggest reading your suggested readings, doing the homework, and then hitting up 3 or 4 good passages and a handful of freestanding questions on a typical weekday/non diagnostic test weekend. Remember to spend time going over the answers too. On saturdays, I used to either take a full length practice test or reading all day. Sundays, I would study for only half a day to keep my mind sane, breaks are very important to keep from burning out. You must remember that as you approach the test date, much of your review will change from reading mostly to doing practice questions almost exclusively. When to switch over to doing more questions depends on how well you have retained the material and when that reading material runs out.

Another suggestion I have is to spend 5-10 minutes summarizing either mentally or on notes on paper for approximately every hour to hour and a half of reading time. This will ensure you are not zoning out. Take SHORT breaks when needed.

Good luck.