Princeton Review Takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafiate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last August and the Princeton Review Prep Course during ths summer. Personally, I thought that the real MCAT was much harder than Princeton Review practice tests (at least for verbal and physical). I was so discouraged during the test and scared to open the letter to find my score. But it seems to me that the real MCAT is scaled much differently than the Princeton Review practices. Don't be discouraged during the test. Remember that the curves are different. I aimed for a 30, then after the test didnt think I got a 30, and ultimately received a 37. It's so different.

Members don't see this ad.

see, that's what i don't understand. It seems that alot of people go and totally rock the real thing, and get like 5 pts higher than their practice mcats. My scores have been very consistently 30's and i know where my weaknesses are, so i can't imagine getting like 13 on PS when i've been scoring 8-9s...and the same goes for other sections.

Now don't get me wrong, i hope some of that magic happens to me saturday ;)

Mafiate, What did you think about the Princeton Review? I'm trying to decide between princeton and kaplan and the major difference seems to be the level of depth. Kaplan seems to be more,"You take ownership of your study time, we're here for you to help guide you" where princeton seems to be more, "we'll teach you the subject and give you exams".

gotta go

Members don't see this ad :)
i really liked my course but i think it was because I thought the books were good. I basically learned everything from the book and the lectures were just review. I dunno how kaplan is but I would highly recomment princeton review from my own experience

If you don't mind me asking, how was the pace and course schedule? Did you have enough time to study outside of class? It seems like that having the class 4 nights a week would leave only a limited amount of time to study ahead.

What about the extracirricular tutoring? I've visited both places and Kaplan seems more professional while Princeton seems a whole lot more detailed in the subject areas.

Did you find you had enough practice exams to get you ready?

I think the class is very well paced. I had time to read the sections before class, which took about an hour for each section. And on the weekend I would spend about 5 hours doing exercises a week. It's pretty chill until it comes closer to test time, when you study more by your own choice. I wanted to get a high Verbal score so everyday for 2 weeks before the test, I did about 8 hours of studying and practicing on my own. It actually doesnt take too much time.

I don't know my score but can answer to some degree.

I thought TPR prepared me very, very well for the BS section, and helped me figure out my problems with verbal. The classes are good but the bio review book is absolutely excellent.

It didn't help very much for PS, but that may just be the form I got; the questions were nothing like any of the AAMC practice exams and I think the people who had the same or similar forms as mine agree. I'm hoping for a very liberal curve on it :eek: .